1981 Buick Regal -Starts but majorly misfiring-

D

drew_5150

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2020
My 1981 Regal 3.8L was stolen from me in 2005, 15 year's later (November) I found it and brought it home. At first when I tried to start it it was plopping in misfiring and I thought it was due to bad gas and/or a dirty carburetor so we rebuilt the carburetor and got it bolted back on yesterday. Still having the same symptoms so I went to the parts store and bought a new cap, rotor, spark plugs and its still missing, now I'm waiting on spark plug wires (they had to be ordered in). I'm writing this to ask if anyone else has dealt with Something simular minus the car being stolen at one point.. lol
Any common issues I might be overlooking?
Anyone have a good vacuum diagram for that year?
Any help is much appreciated!
received_463795007900182.jpeg

Reactions: MalibuDavyou5
C

ck80

Royal Smart Person
Feb 18, 2014
Misfiring could happen if the timing chain skipped somewhat due to worn/broken nylon teeth is one option. Have you checked what it's currently at?

Reactions: drew_5150
blk7gxn

blk7gxn

G-Body Guru
Feb 7, 2019
CONGRATULATIONS on getting your beautiful regal back!! Sorry to hear this happened to you. On the misfiring, the first thing i would do is to confirm the firing order is correct, making sure wires aren't switched around. Here is a pic of the firing order, hope it helps

1585932220135.png

D

drew_5150

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2020
Thanks for the quick responses! :giggle: First thing I did when I got it back was cleaned the tank out and it was dry thankfully. Then I checked the wires and made sure everything was correct as far as the firing order goes. And when you try to adjust the distributor, any movement one way or another and it won't stay running..

D

drew_5150

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2020
Thank you all! I am very appreciative to have been able to locate it and get it back. (It's a crazy story I will share if you guy's want to hear it? lol)

Reactions: blk7gxn
D

drew_5150

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2020
If you've never replaced the HEI module, it might be a worthwhile part to throw at it. Don't forget the paste on the bottom- very important.
Funny thing is I just bought it today with the plugs I was waiting for so I'm going to replace both this afternoon and I'll let you guy's know what happens..

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor