1983 Big Block Monte Slow Build (Lowered Expectations)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
What’s the scoop with that?

Ankle surgery #3, this time replacing a chunk of cartilage that broke off. I'm stuck with these damn things for at least 3 more weeks. Then my weak *ss right leg has to play catch up (again) and get me running as soon as I can so my back stays happy.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Well that sucks. Sounds like plenty of rehab (sigh). Good luck to you,

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So today I hooked the chunk of exhaust back up that had fallen off and rewired it into place for now. Got it up to operating temperature and reattempted a short cruise. It had that primary bog that would go away by mashing the gas, so I turned back for the APT tool and spun it from 4 to 5 turns. Much better. I caught a whiff of coolant and was reminded of the radiator that is hanging on for dear life so turned around back. Whenever I gave it some loving, it seemed decently responsive and had a semblance of coming into a power and which it didn't before. Before it would jump when you hit the gas and then just make noise. Because the APT is so far out I don't think the jet/needle combo is anywhere near where it should be, so my first course of action is to make this thing less of a death trap so I can wind it out and see what primary jet it actually wants. From there I can see which needle it wants and verify what the secondaries are doing. At this point it will cold start without holding the gas and drive decently enough to be able to actually tune properly so my intent is to get it more driveable to support that endeavour.

Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So I grabbed this guy today, claims to be for 74-79 with e clips? I'm sure the springs will work either way. Not gonna open the package until I put eyes on what I have.

PXL_20201204_021246935.jpg

Found my white paint marker so I can mark off 30 and 35 to see what the total timing is. Without it marked I couldn't see shjt.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Aren't 781 and 049 heads the ones to get?

If those are in good shape how good of a deal is that? Because this isn't the greatest timing for these to pop up.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Aren't 781 and 049 heads the ones to get?

If those are in good shape how good of a deal is that? Because this isn't the greatest timing for these to pop up.
I was always told to look for the '781's' & grab them if the deal is good. I have a set of them (mildly ported + the popular 2.19/1.88 combo) on a mild/non-roller 468. Dyno'd @ just shy of 500hp & slightly over 500lbs @ the crank. Very decent combo for the investment.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I was always told to look for the '781's' & grab them if the deal is good. I have a set of them (mildly ported + the popular 2.19/1.88 combo) on a mild/non-roller 468. Dyno'd @ just shy of 500hp & slightly over 500lbs @ the crank. Very decent combo for the investment.

What should one expect to pay?

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
What should one expect to pay?
If they look legit/fresh, the price in that ad is real world good. Better deals can be found but most of the time they need work. It boils down to whether the plan is to bolt them on as-is or pay less for heads you plan to have rebuilt to your specs. If it were me.... I'd counter @ $450/cash in hand & go from there.

*EDIT* With the later model block, I would want to know more about the other parts though before spending any $$ on heads. The 781's are typically 118-120cc chambers which requires the right piston combo to get decent compression. If it's a true HD/motor home drivetrain, it has LOW compression pistons (>8.0:1) so larger head chamber won't help. Usually the later truck motors respond to the Edelbrock 100cc heads combined w/their low compression slugs. Food for thought....

Last edited:
  • Informative

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor