1983 Big Block Monte Slow Build (Lowered Expectations)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Where are you located?
I’m all for heading to the track, but I’d make sure that there aren’t any bugs left in it.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Where are you located?
I’m all for heading to the track, but I’d make sure that there aren’t any bugs left in it.

Colorado Springs. Yes, there are a number of bugs and safety items to be ironed out before this thing sees the strip. That's why it's going on the lift in a couple weeks.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Why am I just seeing this thread now? This site does some weird stuff...

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Why am I just seeing this thread now? This site does some weird stuff...

I kind of ignored the car for 10 months after yanking and scattering the carb, so that's likely part of it.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Forgot to mention how helpful it was to have an obedient 3 year old with functioning hands and feet at my disposal. She rode in the back with a sawzall blade we later discovered. I guess cleaning the interior just got bumped on the priority list.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Decided I should poke through some of the crap I have for this car. The old man seemed to have intentions of addressing some of the issues, but never followed through on actually doing a lot of it. Starting with those 2 exhaust hangers.

PXL_20210106_184645159.jpg

My intent was to use exactly that and a pair of the 30 clamps that will be replaced by welds on the rest of the exhaust system. Next up is that PS reservoir from the donor RV. The way the Whipples install on my pickups make it a real McAsspain to check/fill the PS fluid so if they ever come apart again for PS related issues I'll be swapping the housing and remote reservoir onto it. I have a spare junk pump from the 1500 at home whose reservoir I intend to swap onto this thing to make it normal as opposed to what's on there now.

IMG_20191031_164527.jpg

There's some random hunk of metal jammed in the other end of the hose. God knows what the PS level is, but it doesn't growl so good enough for now. Next in that treasure chest is a pair of KYB gas adjust shocks. I thought they were the Excel G, but I was mistaken. Better than the single blown out shock that's up front now. Next up is what appears to be the fix for the fuel gauge and speedo as neither work. There's a pumpless fuel sender, o rings, locking ring, and 16k VSS in there. Score! He left the speedo cable hooked up to the trans for some damn reason. It can't go to anything as the dash is all Dakota Digital. So not really much of an update, but an indicator of some of the initial things I plan to do to the car once I'm out of das boot. But 4 days after that, kiddo #3 is due so I'm not sure what my immediate wrenching future as a whole is going to look like. Luckily my mom will be here for that to help ease the transition from 2-3. I noticed 1-2 was more than double the workload, I expect no less from the inbound kiddo.

Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So I got some bucket seatbelt dealies, but I'm not sure what they bolt to? The carpet has been replaced and no holes were ever punched in the carpet for seatbelts. Plus this was a bench car and now has nice buckets, with a super sketchy install. Did the belts share a bolt with the seat mount itself or did they get their own?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Got their own. Look underneath the car and you'll see the holes. None of them are on the flat portion of the pan.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Got their own. Look underneath the car and you'll see the holes. None of them are on the flat portion of the pan.

Alright, should be able to shove a pick through to see where to cut top side.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor