1983 Big Block Monte Slow Build (Lowered Expectations)

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Can you find any pics of that? I may just have that bracket in the Rubbermaid tote pictured from earlier.
Here's both sides
s-l500.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Cracking into this now, started with the shop vac. I'd forgotten about this treasure chest.

View attachment 213686

Did the interior and exterior, so much better. It wasn't terrible like 20 years of neglect or anything, too much has been replaced in recentish years, but good to have it where it is now. I'm kind of doing an inventory as I go, found some seat belt receptacles in the trunk. Good thing I bought some off of here a couple years ago. Next I dropped the tank to get rid of the wires that were crappily zip tied the length of the frame. I had this sender on hand.

View attachment 213687

So I figured he'd done the tank with old sender and had a problem.

View attachment 213688

Nope. Looks like he got one without the charcoal canister line. May as well swap it since I'm here. Can anyone confirm if this wire is for the fuel gauge?

View attachment 213691

It dips into the factory harness. The fuel gauge has always read E and that's an item I want to address, at least back here. Inside the car is easy.
On my 88 monte the fuel gauge wire off the tank is pink, it connects to a red wire that pops out of the tail light harness. Both are 12awg. From the harness it runs to the connector in the trunk.
Here's a pic of that factory brake line.
20200927_114404.jpg

Dont be too hard on the old man, a Big Block monte scores you quite a few points in my book.
Like you can look past a chick thats kinda ugly, if she's got a banging body. We called them butterheads.
So he wired it like a rats nest?, it's still got a big block in it. Looking forward to seeing you unf*** the situation.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
It's becoming clear that the collective ignorance precedes my dad. He's got his share, but a lot of what really pissed me off yesterday was not him. Thanks for the pic, it turns out the old brake line is still there. Best I can tell he tried unscrewing it from the rubber hose and the nut had seized to the pipe and it snapped. Both ends are clipped off. I'll probably route it similar to how my dad did, but without the scraping off the ground, resting on the headers, and pointing at the rim. If it hadn't scraped the ground I could just tweak what's already there.

pagrunt I found both mounts, but have no idea how they go now. They don't line up with the plastic cowl piece, are they what the chrome trim screws to?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I found both mounts, but have no idea how they go now. They don't line up with the plastic cowl piece, are they what the chrome trim screws to?
Yes, the lower bright trim screws to it. I can't remember which side is which but I'm thinking the offset one would be on the passenger side.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It's becoming clear that the collective ignorance precedes my dad. He's got his share, but a lot of what really pissed me off yesterday was not him. Thanks for the pic, it turns out the old brake line is still there. Best I can tell he tried unscrewing it from the rubber hose and the nut had seized to the pipe and it snapped. Both ends are clipped off. I'll probably route it similar to how my dad did, but without the scraping off the ground, resting on the headers, and pointing at the rim. If it hadn't scraped the ground I could just tweak what's already there.

pagrunt I found both mounts, but have no idea how they go now. They don't line up with the plastic cowl piece, are they what the chrome trim screws to?
They are for the wide lower stainless steel trim that overlaps the base of the windshield. Your's is missing. The wipers park on this stainless trim.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
They are for the wide lower stainless steel trim that overlaps the base of the windshield. Your's is missing. The wipers park on this stainless trim.

I have that stainless lower trim piece too, but it's never been screwed to anything. I'll use that to get those mounts lined up once I button down everything that comes before it.

Today I got the trans filter and pan back on. I wish I'd taken pics, there was a stack up of nuts on extra long bolts to hold the mount for the shift cable to 2 of the pan bolts. That in and of itself could have been the leak, they didn't have any clamping force on the pan itself. The mount needed to be spaced down from the lip of the pan, so I dug through my hardware and found 2 5/16" NC studs that would fit the trans. I first slid a 3/8" NC nut over the stud, then the mount, then the correct sized nut over that and torqued it all down to get a proper squeeze on the gasket. The shift cable routing still sucks, I'll bring an insulation sheath with me tomorrow and reroute the cable. It had a jillion zip ties to hold it up to the pan. It's obvious it had been dragged on the ground at some point. I'll run that loop over the cross member to hold it up passively and insulate it from the heat of the exhaust with the sheath. I also brought some hardware with me today to be able to bolt the new KYB gas adjust shocks into place up front. They replaced NOTHING, prior to today the car had NO front shocks. I really don't get why they never went in, they're super easy to do especially when you're not fighting old seized hardware. At any rate that's gonna be a huge improvement. I should grab a pair for the rear too so they match as I suspect the springs are all from a set as well. Right now there's a set of hammered air shocks out back. I keep forgetting to see if they still work every time I set the car down just for fun.

The other thing I was able to cross off my list was the fuel tank/sender/wiring. I swapped that non emissions sender in, ran the wiring for the gauge, and popped the tank back into place with bolts that don't try to stick up so high they blow holes in the trunk floor. I set my sights on this nice fat grommet as a good spot to pop the wiring through.

PXL_20230102_004231237.jpg

Best I can tell, there should be some sort of clip on the interior side to hold that thing right? The rubber itself isn't shaped in a way to hold itself tight. Well the plan went according to. . . plan.

PXL_20230102_014938900.MP.jpg

PXL_20230102_020441095.jpg

PXL_20230102_021926345.jpg

Turns out there was that nice handy plastic sleeve available to run wiring through back in 1983. I'll take it.

Tomorrow is going to be focused on the exhaust. I'll weld a couple mounts to the frame to support the tailpipes and ditch the Mechanic's wire. I'm also going to eliminate a bunch of clamps and just weld all the joints shut. Also going to zap in an O2 bung for the wideband and chop the turndowns a bit shorter so they don't scrape over a fat bump.

I'm sure there's more I did and forgot just like yesterday, I think the car will get where it needs to be in the next few days so I can tune it better down the road and flirt with the idea of enjoying it.

Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
In post #90, am I the only one who saw the rocker arms double nutted? Somebody has been inside that engine and was up to no good.

That was the most concerning thing to you in that post? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor