1983 Big Block Monte Slow Build (Lowered Expectations)

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
If it’s original wiring, the choke wire runs off a oil pressure switch. Well the oil pressure switch would need to be added like the factory and if it is the engine has to be running for you to see the 12v. I can’t remember if my 396 was wired the same. Seem to recall putting a jumper across the connector that goes on the oil pressure switch.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Found a VIN decoder that says - 3.8L V6

I suspected as much, all 110hp worth of fury! So that and a 3 speed, would it have been carbed? If so, what in the world are those chopped off wires for then? I think I need a pinout of that big old dash connector.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
If it’s original wiring, the choke wire runs off a oil pressure switch. Well the oil pressure switch would need to be added like the factory and if it is the engine has to be running for you to see the 12v. I can’t remember if my 396 was wired the same. Seem to recall putting a jumper across the connector that goes on the oil pressure switch.

I've heard of this before, I definitely want to do it this way. Keeps the clock from ticking any time I have the key on with the engine not running. But now to find what wire they used for it. . .

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
I suspected as much, all 110hp worth of fury! So that and a 3 speed, would it have been carbed? If so, what in the world are those chopped off wires for then? I think I need a pinout of that big old dash connector.
1983 V6 were carb equipped, but
with CCC, so yes, lots of wire to be expected.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My 229 did use a non-CCC distributor was it still used vacuum advance. I've dug out my '83 electrical book & it shows Electronic Spark Timing was used on that year 229. As for the CCC wires going to it there was only two with the engine harness pink HEI feed.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You need to tuck those wires into a piece of loom after you heat shrink each wire. I can safely say I have 6-8 wires tucked under my brake booster as described above.

Out of sight, out of mind.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor