1983 Big Block Monte Slow Build (Lowered Expectations)

The serpentine belt conversion has been on pause for a bit as we're about to close on our house (selling) and move out of state. Got an empty weight ticket this morning:

PXL_20240728_224853922.MP.jpg

I then proceeded to fill the trunk.

PXL_20240729_212131371.MP.jpg

There's a split up 5.3 in there, an LT1 intake manifold, misc/unknown Monte (?) crap, and snowmobile parts. I put a few boxes in the back seat and didn't have the blankets to be able to load up my Camaro fenders along with. I'll bring that along with 2 C5 rear quarters and try to get it all jammed in the back seat. And at least 1 disassembled engine stand on top of those plastic totes. The truck will have a snowmobile in the back and I'll toss an F body axle assembly and the cherry picker in front of the car for the big trip. Hopefully nothing floats away at the motel on our way there.

Get a couple of those cheap battery driven motion detector alarms and stash them in inconspicuous places on the trailer and in the trunk and tow rig. Someone jostles the unit and they all go off in a cacophonous howl that wakes up half the hotel and scares the scat out of the intruders (Or someone's overly curious kids, 😆.

Nick

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
We made it on schedule, I believe I'd posted in the non-G thread. Here was the load:

PXL_20240812_155025511.MP~2.jpg

In front of the Monte was a 4th gen cat back exhaust, a 4th gen core support/front frame bits, a cherry picker, a 4th gen axle, and a T45. Inside the car were 4 4th gen front fenders, 2 C5Z rear quarters, and entire late 4th gen dash setup, and some boxes of crap. All in the rig was 14k and change, chugged along in OD the whole way with the wife behind the wheel and zero complaints on drivability, quite the opposite. What's so impressive about that is the fact that it's more weight than I towed with it to CO back in 2010 and that was a white knuckle ride for me. Amazing what a bigger axle with bigger brakes, more rear bias, bigger springs, way more power, a stronger transmission, and well distributed load (with WD hitch) will do. I got the fenders out of the car yesterday.

PXL_20240913_142426398.MP.jpg

And hung up today.

PXL_20240913_171334347.MP.jpg

Monday was the day I finally liberated the car from the trailer. Same day I fished the 5.3 out of the trunk and got it stashed in the storage unit. It's getting close to progress. I want to change the oil in this thing sooner than later. And maybe go rip a fat 2nd gear 1 tire fire somewhere that needs it.

Today I played musical batteries and got a serviceable one into the car and fired it up for the second time since arriving in MI. I kept trying to kick the idle down on its way up to operating temp and it never would. I guess that's just the 20% bump in available ambient air, gonna have to lower it back down and try futzing with the idle screws again. It's just crazy to me how it otherwise runs exactly the same (idling up to temp, cracking throttle). I need to see how it drives out on the highway, probably just fine if I had to guess. I need to get a roof over this thing before winter, even if it's just a Harbor Freight car tent/port. I'm unsure how weather tight it is seeing how I've kept it in my hangar since 2019 that I no longer live near.

I've been thinking about keeping a roof over this thing's head and I'm now leaning toward building walls and a roof of sorts onto the open deck trailer that brought it here to keep this thing dry this winter. I don't foresee a great need for the trailer itself while butthole deep snow persists, but we shall see. The walls would be useful outside of this experience, the roof I concoct? Perhaps not so much

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor