1983 Big Block Monte Slow Build (Lowered Expectations)

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Rot free painted satin black is my goal. Looks like I need to go digging through your thread again. The guy mentioned it wouldn't be that bad of a fix, but seeing his prowess I wanted a second opinion. He builds cars with hydro that jump. High. The frame on his car was boxed and fully wrapped, so were the control arms. He also mentioned popping some angle iron on the long, straight, unboxed section for strength as well. Sounds easy to me, has anyone here done it? Another appeal to this frame is the fact that I could work on it while the Monte is in 1 piece and still driveable. I figure I'll add that pipe in the back to tie the shock towers together and weld in some tubes to mimic that bolt in piece I think UMI sells for the front.

On another note, does anyone have a pic of the lower core support with the radiator removed? I think mine's been chopped and I'm considering an aftermarket replacement so this radiator is held in by more than just hopes and dreams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Best pic I have. Hope it helps.
20181231_162318.jpg

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I'd probably pass on it unless it was almost free. With the rot in the back and it looks like the body mount holes under the firewall are pretty wallowed out from rust. Even if a mount doesn't fall thru yet if it's getting thin there it will sooner or later. Sure it can all be repaired but ask yourself honestly is it any better than the one you already have? If not your just throwing good money away. Just my 2 cents.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Sadly it is. What's availability like for clean 35+ year old frames?
It's hit & miss with them. Back in '14 I picked up my new rolling frame that was under a '86 MCSS with only a rusted out mount under the A/C box. I did see a nice bare rot free frame last year at a shop in Somerset Co., Pa on one of my routes with my last job. Sadly I won't be going that way anytime in the near future.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Just jumped on www.car-part.com and found a bunch of frames in KS, OK, TX, AZ, etc. I keep forgetting how cheap sh*t is in OK and TX. Those KS frames are probably iffy. AZ is an 800 mile haul, 400 to KS, 500 to OK, or 30 to the yard I forgot about in the middle of BFE here with all kinds of classic stuff.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If the only issue with your frame is the rear rails I would probably just either look for a donor car with clean ones and cut them off or buy new aftermarket ones and weld them on.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor