1983 Bonneville Wagon motor questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
So here's another "great" idea...Go LS! I've sourced a 2003 5.3L out of a Tahoe with 97xxx miles for a "reasonable" price. The motor is 100% complete with the gas pedal and everything. I'm looking for a transmission right now. Things that I think I'd need to piece together would be an exhaust system, and fuel delivery system. I've seen kits for both...or parts of kits anyway. I can't seem to find a "complete kit" for Pontiacs. BRP has kits but they haven't tested them on Pontiacs, so they won't verify fitment. Hooker has a kit but they say there's an issue with El Caminos...and my wagon does have similarities to El Caminos. I'm still thinking about staying with the 400 Pontiac, but my finances have changed (for the better) and I can maybe afford an LS swap now whereas I couldn't a couple months ago. Now just may be the time...

As always, your advice is the right price and appreciated! Thanks in advance!

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
Here's my "progress" thus far this weekend. It's hot as heck right now, so I'm just relaxing while my poor car bakes in the sun. I can't wait to get her home on Monday and get her into the shop at the college. There's a whole lot of cleaning and prepping that I need to do, but it looks a lot nicer without that 454! I'm in the middle of replacing the heater box right now. I got a used heater box out of an 86 Cutlass. I ended up using a BFH to get the old one out...that way I could see how it went together! It was in bad shape. The "new" one is great! I'll be a happier camper once it's all in place this evening.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 202
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 215

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
I got the heater box in on Sunday. That wasn't easy! I'm glad the motor was out! That was 6 hours of my life I won't get back. I did get the car "home" on Monday and now it's in the shop at the college to get picked over and prepped for the motor and transmission. The motor showed up today, much to my surprise! It's out of a 2003 DBW Silverado. It's 100% complete and 108193 miles on it. I also got a hydroboost setup out of a 2003 Silverado HD (pump, lines, master cylinder, etc). Tomorrow the 4L60E and 8.5" 10 bolt from another 86 Cutlass will be speeding my way. I've been pricing out swap kits and I'm probably going to go with the Hooker/Holley kit. Sadly, it's going to cost as much for the kit as it did for the motor/trans/rear! I'm trying to hold to a budget, but man...it's kinda hard. I'm pretty excited about how things are coming together. Right now, my x-factors are the trans and rear...I don't know how good the rear is (or ratio, or posi/open), nor do I know anything of the condition of the trans. The yard I'm getting them from says they are in working order, but for what I'm paying...I have my doubts. I suspect the rear is an open 3.08 and that the trans will need a rebuild. But yeah...it's only money, right!

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
I need pics...this I realize. I haven't made much physical progress so much as research and purchasing progress.

Here's where I'm at now: I have the motor, hydroboost, transmission, Holley LS swap kit, Grand National rear (the 86 Cutlass was another 7.5", damn). I've spoken in TanksInc and I think they may have a workable solution to fuel delivery for less than $500. I think that once that hurdle is cleared, I'll be ready to start putting parts together in the car. I have to swap oil pans, p/s pumps, brake booster, and master cylinder

Bill C.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2015
Hi I have a 79 grand lemans and it had a Buick 231ci V6. I converted it to a 455 Pontiac using the 301 motor mounts and they have held up perfectly for the last 6 yrs. you already have the V8 coil springs seeing you had the 305. I had to change mine cuz that huge 455 weighed the front down quite a bit. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor