1983 Cutlass Calais “The Cripples Cruiser”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area

New tune .50 plug gap initial timing about 18 total timing 36 manually shifting no ac on

Kick down cable was verified connected and I adjusted it to ensure full engagement at WOT so something is going on because it is still not working my assumption is something is wrong with the overall casing and not allowing the lever in the trans to pull correctly.

Seem to have a single metal clunk from passenger seems possibly last cylinder of the motor when I shut the engine down as well an occasional semi knock n the same area rarely that’s making me fairly nervous so let’s cross our fingers on that one.

Buying a fuel regulator today to bring the fuel pressure down some and hopefully solve some of my issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks I’ll have to see both options suck for sure

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Consider the All Star Performance 4 blade solid fan based off the factory GM fan. Briguy went from 220 to 160 with that fan.

Reactions: 1 user

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Ok thanks currently I’m running a factory 6 blade I believe

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Ok thanks currently I’m running a factory 6 blade I believe

That is better than the 5 blade clutch fans most of the 307's came with.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
are those bubbles normal or just air or is it worse and I have an internal engine leak?

Flushed my radiator, heater core, water pump and intake. Refilled with antifreeze and water then ran to operating temp with the cap off to ensure all air was out revving occasionally to make sure fully circulated filled the overflow and replaced the radiator cap with a new safety 16psi unit. Sprayed out the condenser radiator and trans cooler with the hose to hopefully clean the fins checked between the radiator and condenser there was nothing in between.

T’d my vent line from the charcoal canister into my pcv line so it ran to the carb replaced all my vacuum lines with new and zip tied it all away from the engine.

Added my mr gasket fuel regulator and even with Teflon tape and good and tight fittings wouldn’t you know it based on the review the inlet fitting was leaking immediately since I had no time to fix it right and couldn’t afford a better so handy dandy RTV time slopped it all the way around the fitting and looks as though it may have sealed it haven’t seen any gas yet this morning thankfully.

Also read on the forums that the mr gasket never corresponds to the real psi so currently set to 4 until I have time to truly test and see how far off it is.

Then this morning found out after all that cooling system work I’m not sure if something got worse with it or that the previous gauge sending unit wasn’t reading correctly and now that I replaced it I have a true reading. Also wondering if maybe the ac is running the temp so far up because no matter what I do I swear that clutch doesn’t cycle.

1ce96110f2fd9023f087cea1313094bf.jpg
gauges idling.

And then of course have to drop my float levels and get a phenolic spacer because even with all the changes it still seems to be heat soaking the carb and causing it to flood when off and hot.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Buy this, problem solved.
And get which ever one spaces your fan in the shroud properly. The have shorter and longer as well.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
That will really be better than the 6 blade as well how far into the shroud should the fan be situated?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That will really be better than the 6 blade as well how far into the shroud should the fan be situated?

I know Foxtrot saw a 30 or 40 degree drop over a 5 blade clutch fan. Briguy 220 to 160 over a wrecked flex fan. Both on the 403, much harder to cool. I believe it should be half way in the shroud at least.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor