1983 H/O Negative Battery Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

83 H/O

n00b
Jan 12, 2018
Can somebody tell me where the negative battery cable connected to from the factory on a 1983 hurst olds? I would like to know the correct routing as well. I picture would be perfect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Can somebody tell me where the negative battery cable connected to from the factory on a 1983 hurst olds? I would like to know the correct routing as well. I picture would be perfect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Welcome to the forum. This looks like your first post. I don’t have a picture but the negative cable goes directly to the engine block. If memory serves me, another smaller wire goes to the chassis.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yellow arrow. Stud location. Ground wire. Pay no attention to the nearby red wire. That goes to the alternator post.

Ground Wire Location Olds V8 G-body.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
As far as the routing, the negative wire is only like 20" long or so. Not much to route. As Anubis stated, the smaller aux ground wire goes to either the inner fenderwell near the horns or the radiator support. It varied within the model years. I do not recall where it actually goes to on an 83.

83 H/O

n00b
Jan 12, 2018
Thanks, I had M/H build me a set of cables to factory OEM specs. It took awhile as they had to find the gauge of cable, length and style of clamp ends that Oldsmobile used. if anybody’s looking for a set I’ve attached a picture of there part numbers.

I did find the ground mounting position on the inner fender wall. I thought the other wire went to somewhere on the alternator bracket. I did see the nut on the engine block that you pointed out. I’ll see how that lines up with the wire length that they sent.
30FD5ED5-6D89-4A97-B520-BA46C60B4465.jpeg

49984623-CA3B-401E-B75A-8B13BD9DC0F2.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ooooh! I like those! Looks like they went to a larger guage wire. Or thicker sleeve. Can't really tell. Which isn't a bad thing. Parts book shows 60" for positive and 20" for negative. Not sure if that matches the factory lengths or just the ballpark. The factory cables, as you can tell by looking at them, are rather skinny little things compared to what people normally use. You could mistake it for a 7mm spark plug cable. Plus, I wish they would have used a red sleeve on the alternator wire per original. But you can't have everything I guess. Those still look better than grungy originals 99% of the time.

Typical postive cable routing is just behind the A.I.R. check valve tubing and up along the top of the valve cover and back down around the back of the engine through the cable tube to the starter. The cable has cable ties holding it up to the wire loom that runs up along the valve cover as well. And of course, the smaller wire to the alternator goes through the loom and then splits out near the alternator. The tube is shown in the picture above and you can see the skinny little cable going through it to the starter, although it's been pulled away from the engine in the front.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

83 H/O

n00b
Jan 12, 2018
Ooooh! I like those! Looks like they went to a larger guage wire. Or thicker sleeve. Can't really tell. Which isn't a bad thing. Parts book shows 60" for positive and 20" for negative. Not sure if that matches the factory lengths or just the ballpark. The factory cables, as you can tell by looking at them, are rather skinny little things compared to what people normally use. You could mistake it for a 7mm spark plug cable. Plus, I wish they would have used a red sleeve on the alternator wire per original. But you can't have everything I guess. Those still look better than grungy originals 99% of the time.

Typical postive cable routing is just behind the A.I.R. check valve tubing and up along the top of the valve cover and back down around the back of the engine through the cable tube to the starter. The cable has cable ties holding it up to the wire loom that runs up along the valve cover as well. And of course, the smaller wire to the alternator goes through the loom and then splits out near the alternator. The tube is shown in the picture above and you can see the skinny little cable going through it to the starter, although it's been pulled away from the engine in the front.
Thanks for the info, I never had an original set to Compare. The guy before me just installed a cheap aftermarket set that was an eye sore. I’m hoping M/H did there home work. It took about 3 months before they finished these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor