1983 Hurst olds Replacement Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Vin 9 exhaust from the cat back had a better design and flow than the monte ss with its 2 inch pipe and off center muffler that were restricted. Same go's with the buick gn restricted muffler and the 79 Hurst , 80 442 was even worse.
The GNX exhaust was a duplicate of the vin 9 other than a different bend for the tail pipes to clear the pan bar and the flange that connects to the cat. The mufflers are the same as the vin 9. There's nothing magical about the corvette cat other than the Oval exit that connects to the y pipe. Many years ago i opened one up with a friend and compared it to an olds cat, no difference other than oval opening is bigger than the olds cat.
If he still has the original exhaust I would have a muffler shop duplicate it, you end up paying more but it will be close to a factory setup.

What 69hurstolds was referring to about crinkles on bends of a factory exhaust compared to a replacement gm nos see pictures. I still have the original exhaust on my Hurst and it has the crinkles.
Thats my spare NOS vin 9 exhaust system that came home before the dealership closed that I worked at. And NO its not for sale.
s-l400 (30).jpg
s-l400 (27).jpg
s-l400 (22).jpg
s-l400 (20).jpg

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thats my spare NOS vin 9 exhaust system that came home before the dealership closed that I worked at.
I thought you raided my shop there for a second. :) Note the picture where it shows the bend I was talking about where the Y splits. I mis-remembered about the way the pipe splits. The driver side and passenger side are siamesed where they meet, and the main pipe from the cat is like a short curved piece that appears like a collector of sorts for the two ends. It's this way on the factory ones as well.

The mufflers are SMALL. 12" length, not including the pipe connectors. 8" wide and about 3.5" thick.

The closest I've seen to factory sized mufflers still available aftermarket is AP Exhaust 6492 is a 2.25" ctr/ctr aftermarket muffler at 14" body, 8.75" width and 4.25" thick. Just a bit larger. I have no idea how they sound. There may be others. So if you get a muffler shop to build one, you may not find any short enough. Your muffler shop should be able to help in this arena, maybe having to shorten the Y-pipe a couple of inches thereabouts to fit new mufflers.

Magnaflow has a #12215, 14" x 8" x 5" with 2.25 center/center. But I've found Magnaflows are quite a bit louder than stock. Not sure about this muffler, but based on the rest of their products...

I still haven't figured out why they gave the GM mufflers to that American Tourister ape in those old commercials to beat up before sending them to the factory.

4355cff7434160b6a4f15d5e282be69ef577cb10.gifv

I'm still trying to figure out the smashed corners. Clearance can't be the answer because they would clear easily without the smash. I've looked at several original systems and to this day can't understand the reasoning (or forgot it once I found out). Plus, they're both smashed on the driver side of the muffler only. Hmm.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I have a few NOS parts.
The way the walker y pipe is welded is much different than the oem. Hard to explain but when i find a picture of it i will post it.
Wow can't believe AP is still around making pipes and mufflers.
The dented corners on the mufflers, what I was told 35 years ago was to clear the drive shaft. I did make sense as we can see the tale pipes are welded to the mufflers from the factory. If the pipe is welded to the muffler to the left or right a bit it would throw the angle off of the muffler when mounted to the y pipe. Why both mufflers are dented on the driver side no clue, GNX had the same.
s-l400 (23).jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen, denting a muffler for driveshaft clearance and even it that was necessary with those little mufflers it would only be needed on the inside end of each muffler not both ends.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen, denting a muffler for driveshaft clearance and even it that was necessary with those little mufflers it would only be needed on the inside end of each muffler not both ends.
The weirdest part they were ALL done the same way. And they were all dented on the driver side of the muffler, meaning the driver side muffler had the dents on the outside of the muffler, not where the supposed clearance would be needed by the driveshaft. Like they just made all the mufflers exactly the same regardless of which side they went on. Another one of those GM mastermind ideas.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Walker Y pipe. You can see it's just a tack on Y weld.

G-body 442 Y pipe.jpg

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
It was done for some reason, just like the air shocks was standard on the 442's and Hurst cars and not on the Buick GN and Monte SS.

Lukeschwtz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2018
Try gardner exhaust, they make the most factory correct exhaust on the market. They are expensive but worth the money if that's what your looking for.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Try gardner exhaust, they make the most factory correct exhaust on the market. They are expensive but worth the money if that's what your looking for.
But at least not yet serving the G-body market. I don't think they have much if anything other than 1979 on back. So if you think their in-stock selection is expensive...try a custom deal from them.

• Wow

B C Rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2016
looking for any information as to where to get replacement exhaust parts for a 1983 H/O from the cat back that are a very close match to original for look and sound?
Try Waldron’s Exhaust - they custom fabricate to OEM spec’s, are a national provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor