1984 Buick Grand National coming back to life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 days and counting till the engine starts getting installed. And its gonna be a badass!

loaded and ready to make the trip south for the new heartbeat!

A few weeks ago I blew my engine from a bent crank. Tomorrow I get to make my way south to get the new engine and install it and fix a few other things.

I am sooooo stoked!!

Basically a new engine with new wiseco pistons, 109, alcohol, champion heads, champion intake, te44, extreme automatics 2004r, extreme automatics 2800 stall, too much stuff to list, been waiting a few months for this!! So I cleaned her up so she can look good going down through the mountains on my 600 mile 9 hr drive.. had to have fun with the camera this eve.

Next pictures will be the engie installation!

Looks real slick! 8) Good luck with the new drivetrain.

truly a beautiful job! that's a perfect testiment to what a person can do with willingness to learn, and hard work.

but Toby, you did make me feel really old today..... historic plates on a car I drooled over in high school! :rofl:

Car is still in North Carolina

We had alot of challenges occur from a 3 day engine prep till install into the cradle, to 3 day alcohol install, to bad timing cover oil pump shearing the pin to the cam sensor leading us to replace coil pack, crank sensor, every damn sensor you can think of just to achieve spark. Then to find that the sheer pin as well as many fragments from the alum timing cover went through the engine and wiped out number 2 rod bearings, crank is ok though....whew!

On top of this the alcohol injection vacuum pulled an entire gallon of methanol into the intake, so while I was installing the turbo we kicked over the engine and started my hair on fire. Yes, we had everything unplugged.

So a couple days ago we purchased a complete set of main and rod bearings. I drove one hour each way to find them. Got back to the shop started installing the rods first, then the mains. All brand new ARP hardware was used. Did 1, 2, 3 then 4 etc. Got to 5. Pulled the cap, then installed.....yup...the f ing rod cap bolt was stripped out and wouldnt tighten.

So......The drivers head to come out, push the piston and rod out, put the piston on the new rod and reinstall. THEN.....I hope and pray after my week of HELL that I get to finally drive the car.

1979Calais said:
I can't wait to see a video of it running, also you forgot to take my SS back with you.

lol, I got you... I had planned on a video and had a video of it many times trying to start without a spark and gave up with it running. It does sound quite nice with the engine setup, and will be a monster when finished. Now we just need to keep the fingers crossed that I can make it to carlisle!

tobyp said:
1979Calais said:
I can't wait to see a video of it running, also you forgot to take my SS back with you.

lol, I got you... I had planned on a video and had a video of it many times trying to start without a spark and gave up with it running. It does sound quite nice with the engine setup, and will be a monster when finished. Now we just need to keep the fingers crossed that I can make it to carlisle!

Nice work Toby, It looks great. How did the crank get bent?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor