1984 Buick Regal Limited 5.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Doubtful the pedal has rusted. Probably one of the lines has seized.

The Parking brake has 1 cable connected to the pedal and it runs from the front of the car to the rear axle under the drivers side.

At that point it splits and pulls on 2 sep cables to engage the brakes.

Disconnect the main cable from the ones at the rear axle and see if the pedal moves. If not the cable is likely seized.

If the pedal now moves then it's one of the 2 smaller lines. Pull the drums off the rear and with an assistant present pull on each side of the rear cables to see if they move freely.

You can try to free them up to get them working for the inspection but you are better off replacing them.

If the frame and body of this car are in bad shape then maybe you should part it out to regain some of the money spent then go looking for something that does not need as much work.

To be completly honest, I have scrapped cars in better shape than what you are working on. Keep the good parts and sell off or scrap the rest.

Doors, frame rails, rear 1/4 will cost a bundle to fix right and you will spend much more in repairs than what the car is worth in the end.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
axisg said:
Doubtful the pedal has rusted. Probably one of the lines has seized.

The Parking brake has 1 cable connected to the pedal and it runs from the front of the car to the rear axle under the drivers side.

At that point it splits and pulls on 2 sep cables to engage the brakes.

Disconnect the main cable from the ones at the rear axle and see if the pedal moves. If not the cable is likely seized.

If the pedal now moves then it's one of the 2 smaller lines. Pull the drums off the rear and with an assistant present pull on each side of the rear cables to see if they move freely.

You can try to free them up to get them working for the inspection but you are better off replacing them.

If the frame and body of this car are in bad shape then maybe you should part it out to regain some of the money spent then go looking for something that does not need as much work.

To be completly honest, I have scrapped cars in better shape than what you are working on. Keep the good parts and sell off or scrap the rest.

Doors, frame rails, rear 1/4 will cost a bundle to fix right and you will spend much more in repairs than what the car is worth in the end.

Thanks for the info.

As for the entire project, I know what you're talking about when you say that maybe I should consider something else. With my budget, I'm always considering something else and looking at cars that are for sale. I'm not sure about what kind of cars that you had scrapped previously, but I could guess that you found replacing them an easy task.

When I had first started looking for cars 3 years ago, I had never seen a single Buick Regal for sale. Cutlasses all over but no Regals even up until now.

I plan to spend about $5000 on this car over the 7 years that I'll be in school. And this may be, if at all, the only "young and stupid" mistake that I've made.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
blizack said:
I just bought a newer Regal.

get some pics up.

less rust than this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor