1984 Elcamino

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMax

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2011
Hey guys, i still have my monte carlo, but i have an opportunity to get an el camino as well. I'm not sure if it is actually an SS model, but it has all the badging and interior. I'm buying it as a roller for 300 bucks and an old pair of hoosier drag slicks. It's rolling on 4 7" chevrolet ralleys. The car is VERY solid and straight. Do you think this is a good buy? What is there to look for on these el caminos? Any and all help is appreciated!

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Just you typical rust areas ... lower quarters, frame rails, verticle pillars, bottom door lip, front bed corners :arrow:

As long as its solid, $300 is an awesome deal!!!

88MCsupersport

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
flushing new york
RITTER said:
Just you typical rust areas ... lower quarters, frame rails, verticle pillars, bottom door lip, front bed corners :arrow:

As long as its solid, $300 is an awesome deal!!!

Thats a great deal i would jump on that in a heartbeat as long as those arears werent rotted out post some pics if you could

MadMax

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2011
I'll get pics today. The doors have the usual rot along the bottom but other than that the car is solid. It has the GP bars in the front as well. How can i tell if it is a real SS el camino or not?

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I believe up until 80? (not 100% sure) maybe even 81.. that the Z15 (SS code) was on the cowl tag.

I'm sure the 82 and up have to be identified by the build sheet.

$300 sounds like a hell of deal!

88MCsupersport

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
flushing new york
Check the vin number thats usually how i tell if its a true ss or you can look at the stickers on the doors/ trunk (if they were left on) those codes usually tell you everything about the car such as power doors posi traction ss suspension and everything else ill look at some stuff i printed out a while ago to see if i can get you a website to figure out what the codes mean

88MCsupersport

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
flushing new york
A sample 1984 El Camino VIN would look like this: 1GCCW809XER100001

1st digit - This is the Country of origin

1 = U.S.A
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico

2nd digit – This is the manufacturers identity

G = General Motors

3rd digit - This is the Make

C = Chevrolet Truck
T = GMC Truck

4th digit - This is the GVWR Brake System

C = Hydraulic brake system - GVW 4001-5000

5th digit - This is the Series

W = El Camino/Caballero

6th and 7th digits - This is the Body Style

80 = 2dr Sedan Pick-up

8th digit - This identifies the engine

9 = V-6, 229cid
A = V-6, 231cid
H = V-8, 305cid
N = V-8, 350cid diesel

9th digit -Check Digit

10th digit - This is the Model Year

E = 1984

11th digit - This is the Assembly Plant code

B = Baltimore, MD
D = Doraville, GA
R = Arlington, TX
Z = Fremont, CA

1 = Oshawa, Canada

12th through 17th digits – Sequential Production Number

100001 – Sequential Production Number

hope that helps i found it on a el camino forum http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27738

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor