1984 ElCO Rear disc brake upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I have looking at doing this rear disc swap as well...... Except I'm using the rear C5 rotor's and caliper's. I want to keep the parking brakes but using the Vette brakes won't allow me to keep them. I read on Pro-touring.com that i can use the Vette caliper's on LS1 abutment brackets, rotors, and E brakes assemblies and allow me to use the Vette calipers.
Here's a build thread on the Monte's build:
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.p ... ertha-Back

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
Dave V said:
I would think so only reason I like adjustable is you can really fine tune stuff. On my buddies chevelle we got an adjustable I can shut his rear brakes off and use just the front or vice versa its kinda cool
ok, then ill go with the adjustables

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
85GPLef41 said:
I have looking at doing this rear disc swap as well...... Except I'm using the rear C5 rotor's and caliper's. I want to keep the parking brakes but using the Vette brakes won't allow me to keep them. I read on Pro-touring.com that i can use the Vette caliper's on LS1 abutment brackets, rotors, and E brakes assemblies and allow me to use the Vette calipers.
Here's a build thread on the Monte's build:
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.p ... ertha-Back
you can use these calipers and just make some brackets, or order some brackets to put the bigger rotors (i think 13") and still have an ebrake.... matter of fact, the flynbye website is back up, but i called him yesterday he didnt answer, he has the correct length e brake cables etc. for complete bolt on... i want to show the cheapest way to do a good bolt on set of rear discs... speaking of that, im gonna go grab some paint and clean up that stuff shortly...

the rotors i got are very good too, so against what im used to doing, im not even buying any rotors, my bro convinced me just to stay within what my original goal was, i started seein all the fancy cross drilled/slotted stuff and was gonna go crazy, hell money is tight, when im ready to replace the rotors ill get the fancier ones, until then, good old fashioned disc brakes will work...

i may upgrade the fronts with bigger brakes, and there is a bracket set you can get for that too, for bolt on

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
spent a little time with my son, cleaning the parts up real good, masking and painting.. took more work than I thought it would, but its just work...

spent another $6.50 (the actual price was around $26, but i had $20 in rewards points on my autozone card, that damn caliper paint is expensive... about $7 a can...lol)

so total I have spent $72

IMG252.jpg

took it all apart... even the pads were in new condition, just dirty as hell...
IMG251.jpg

IMG250.jpg

tried, scrubbing the crap and cleaning the years of brake dust dirt and grime, with a brush and degreaser... pressure washer, then air tool... came out pretty clean, wish i woulda just went straight to air tool..lol

IMG253.jpg

IMG256.jpg

IMG255.jpg

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
School is in session! :D from what f- body did you remove these from og? Damn looks like a new to-do list is i :wink: n order

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
my son need to work on his own sh*t...lol... he loves to though, so not a problem, great kid... super tall, but thin, hes always trying to do push up, cause he thinks that gonna make him get bigger... i told him, just wait, itll come when you dont want it too... oh and excuse my dirty garage :oops:

http://youtu.be/zVAF5eeKU6g

http://youtu.be/XmzML_B2pCk

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
L.A.X-RATED said:
School is in session! :D from what f- body did you remove these from og? Damn looks like a new to-do list is i :wink: n order
mine were off of a 2002ish camaro, (the way Im doing them, you can pull them off any fourth gen camaro)... there are other cars you can get them off of that may be an even easier swap, but the way im doing it, should be pretty easy...well we will see...lol

i think 88-93 s10s will work too, but those are harder to find at the junk yard with rear disk brakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor