1984 ElCO Rear disc brake upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
LSCustoms said:
oldtinsmith said:
I'm in the process of buying of buying the Blazer dual piston/spindle front brake set-up as well as the LS1 rear brake set-up (LSCustoms...."Skip", has been a great guy to deal with! This man even sent me a video of the parts he has gotten so far!) So, I have some questions to the people who have done the LS1 rear brake swap. Would the people who have the stock LS1 E-brake working on their g-bodies please post how they did it (pictures would be appreciated). Were the E-brakes easier to get working with the calipers mounted behind or infront of the rear axle? How many people use the Blazer rear bump stop in place of the g-body bump stop to limit the axle's up travel (to help limit frame/caliper interference ?)
I know I'll answer some of these questions when I do my mock-up build, just thought I'd ask people what they ran into during their swaps.

Doug
thanks for the shout out, most people havent hooked up the ebrake (other than the link i have on the first page), however i will do another video for you and show you how I would, im running the ford now, but the concept is the same, cause the way the ebrake actuator on the vette works the same as the ls1...

Let me know when you have more details on the ebrake cable setup?
you can get a universal cable also, with the correct ends on it and then tie it into the stock ebrake cable, but Ill post a video it seems simple to do, I dont know why people dont do it

amanzo00 said:
will do, ill try to get something done this weekend, having a problem getting my axle flanges machined down for my 9"

LSCustoms said:
amanzo00 said:
will do, ill try to get something done this weekend, having a problem getting my axle flanges machined down for my 9"

Just to summarize will the rotors from the 98 camaro fit over the axle ends or do I have toturm them down. I am going to get all the brakes new for the 98 from napa but want to know if it will fit without turning down the axles.

amanzo00 said:
LSCustoms said:
amanzo00 said:

Just to summarize will the rotors from the 98 camaro fit over the axle ends or do I have toturm them down. I am going to get all the brakes new for the 98 from napa but want to know if it will fit without turning down the axles.
i have a Ford 9", your setup will work just like mine did in this thread, the axles im talking about are for a whole different rear end, sorry for the confusion...

did another thread, with better documentation as far as video and will be updating it frequently with everything up to and including functional ebrake...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=41067#.UHvjnsXA8WI

the vids are long, cause wanted alot of it to be in real time, so people can see just how, easy and how much time it takes to do the modification to the housing, etc... you can always skip through the vid

LSCustoms said:
the t im going to use for the front... just have to cut the fitting off the stock line (stock prop side) and use the smaller one to go into the t...

IMG_20110918_142625.jpg

:?:
What vehicle did this "T" come from can it be bought new?

For the question on hooking up the LS1 emergency brakes, I did it by making a couple of simple brackets. Pictures and drawings attached below. The clip to use the G-gody brake cables was made from a 3/4" slice off the end of a 1x2 angle iron. The brackets to hold the cable are made from a piece of 1 " bar stock. I had the LS1 cables, but it looked like it was going to be a harder modification to get them to work. Backing plates were swapped side to side so the pull on the emergency brake bracket is toward the front of the vehicle. Stock G-body cables slid into the L-shaped bracket, and then the bracket is slid over the end of the E-brake bracket in the brake caliper.
CIMG3577_zps2a4cb6ef.jpg

CIMG3575_zps98c322ce.jpg

brake_bkts_zpsfb44922a.jpg

More pictures can be seen here:
http://s300.photobucket.com/user/darbys ... t=3&page=1

i fabbed the same brackets up and they worked great!!

bleedchevy said:
LSCustoms said:
the t im going to use for the front... just have to cut the fitting off the stock line (stock prop side) and use the smaller one to go into the t...

IMG_20110918_142625.jpg

:?:
What vehicle did this "T" come from can it be bought new?

TTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor