1.2 MB · Views: 590
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 572

H317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2014
Albany, IN
Good news!!! When I got to the junk yard this morning at 8am it was 2 below zero and who knows what the windchill was...LOL I was pointed in the direction of the GM section and told "good luck". I went clear to the back and did not see one Monte. I was dressed in about 4 layers of clothes and was still freezing and was getting worried I would not find what I went for. I just happened to glance to my right and there sat a Monte!! Almost everything was gone from this car but when I looked inside, there was my dash with all the instrument cluster still in it!!!!! This one had warning lights and not gauges for a couple things but I have the Sun Pro cluster I will use. But I can now return the fuel gauge and apply that $$ toward the tach I want. Two cracks in the dash but they can be covered. I also got a Monte crest that was laying on the floorboard (Now who would go off and leave that?) An hour and $57 dollars later, I was on my way home with a dash (a blue one at that) and a huge smile on my face. Thanks for all of your suggestions for my dash. I will post pics when I get it finished.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
Yep It's always fun going to the junkyard to see what you can get,an even better when you find something you need,i LOVE the junkyards.i know you said "Almost everything was gone" Just wondering did you remember to look underneath to see what rear it had maybe 8.5 or a ford 9" would be a great find an was the a rear sway bar there.Maybe the holy grail an aluminum core support those's are 3 main things i ALWAYS look for on ALL g bodys at the junkyard,Most likely not your going to find them,But you never know,I know my 84 didn't come with a rear sway bar,an id like to eventually get one.
Be on the look out also 98-04 blazer 2 wd if you want to upgrade the front brakes you can get the spindles,sealed wheel bearings/hub, dual piston calibers an rotors it will BOLT RIGHT ONE,i am looking to do this in the future,There are threads on here about doing it,also you can up grade your steering shaft to an jeep shaft,it will eliminate the rag joints, will look much nicer,also adds a little bit more room for headers.

Glad to here you got a dash. :D

To anyone that's looking .My dash is still FOR SALE 100.00 bucks "may go lower" no gauge cluster or trim bezels

H317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2014
Albany, IN
There was no rear end, transmission, front, end, steering shaft, seats...Almost looked like a fish carcass stripped to the bone by the birds...LOL I was AMAZED the dash was there!!!
I did not have time to wander around and look for more "goodies" I had to get back to work but I will go back and browse someday soon(when it is warmer) because I need to get a steering shaft to get rid of a little play in the steering.
The dash cleaned up nicely and might look even better when I get some ReNu or something of that sort. I think my daughter has some I can borrow to see if it does anything (she details cars). Warmer weather on the way this weekend so I will be out in the driveway working on my dash!! Can't wait. 24 days til race day!!! The nerves are kicking in a bit..LOL

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
You are lucky that the car was still there. Lots of times when they get that stripped down they go to the crusher.

H317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2014
Albany, IN
86 Grand prix said:
You are lucky that the car was still there. Lots of times when they get that stripped down they go to the crusher.
Yes I was extremely lucky they are way behind in sending things to the crusher. NOW they can take it!!!! LOL

H317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2014
Albany, IN
Woo Hoo Got the dash put in today!! Looks pretty good and eventually I get a cover to hide the couple of cracks. The gauge cluster was intact on this dash and I hooked it up.
I put the speedo cable onto the speedo and when I took it for a ride, it did not move...Not sure if there is a certain way it has to go in or not. The fuel gauge states I have very close to a full tank. Not so sure I believe it. Guess I will find out when I run out of gas...hahaha
Here is a before pic and a picture of the dash I just put in. I did not have the column bolted back up when when I snapped the pic...oops
[attachment=0]new dash.jpg[/attachment

Attachments

• new dash.jpg
    new dash.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 334
  • no dash.jpg
    no dash.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 350

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
Looks better than no dash lol

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Nice job...looks a lot better. At 2F outside, you earned the karma that got you a blue dash! I once pulled an axle in Idaho Falls when it was -10F. Younger and tougher then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor