1985 buick grand national

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The magic G80. Can't go wrong, there.

Smoking is usually the turbo seals or the crappy plastic valve stem seals. New turbo fixes that problem, if not some new 100lb valve springs and new seals is easy.

If its fogging for mosquitos smoke, the motor should come out, but it doesn't sound like that.

Looks like a nice straight rust free car.

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
The magic G80. Can't go wrong, there.

Smoking is usually the turbo seals or the crappy plastic valve stem seals. New turbo fixes that problem, if not some new 100lb valve springs and new seals is easy.

If its fogging for mosquitos smoke, the motor should come out, but it doesn't sound like that.

Looks like a nice straight rust free car.
its lets out alot of smoke here n there then smokes enough where its obviouse

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
what does magic g80 mean sorry if i sound dumb its my 1st grand national

G80 Positraction was an Option on GN's. You could get the stronger 8.5" rear axle, but still only do 1 wheel burn outs, which is lame.

Other than add an intercooler, there is lots of potential in the '85 hot air cars. The cone K&N is a good start. A junkyard electric fan is another. Those two mods and its faster than every other Non turbo G-bodies with the same mods.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
G80 Positraction was an Option on GN's. You could get the stronger 8.5" rear axle, but still only do 1 wheel burn outs, which is lame.

Other than add an intercooler, there is lots of potential in the '85 hot air cars. The cone K&N is a good start. A junkyard electric fan is another. Those two mods and its faster than every other Non turbo G-bodies with the same mods.
one giy said that new turbo i have will not work on mines another thing to think about now lol

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Can these be converted to 86-7 intercooled? I'm guessing this is covered thoroughly over on the turbobuick forum . . . was just curious.

Great find BTW! Enjoy . . .

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Looks like a pretty straight car. If the smoke is pure white, could be a head gasket. Greyish or blueish smoke is oil burning. Comp 980-12 spings I've read are a good replacement for stock GN springs since you'll have to have em off to change the valve seals anyway. Unless they've already been changed.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/recipepage.html

^^Couple build guides for hot air cars in there. Most end up swapping to the 86/87 top end and intercoolers though.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
Looks like a pretty straight car. If the smoke is pure white, could be a head gasket. Greyish or blueish smoke is oil burning. Comp 980-12 spings I've read are a good replacement for stock GN springs since you'll have to have em off to change the valve seals anyway. Unless they've already been changed.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/recipepage.html

^^Couple build guides for hot air cars in there. Most end up swapping to the 86/87 top end and intercoolers though.
i dont wanna mess with no inteercooled sytem i wanna keep as original as possible im not looking to race im looking for a classic weekend day cruiser for my son maybe one day wennhe bigger

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The bolt flange on the turbo was square 4 bolt, I didn't know if those headers had an adapter flange. All of the factory turbos are 3 bolt flanges.

Depending on the turbo, there may be a 3 bolt turbine housing for it. Replacing the turbine housing is pretty easy. If there a local turbo repair house, they may have parts. People who converted their hot air to intercooled might also have a turbo laying around.

Join Turbobuick.com to get access to the classifieds to look for parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor