1985 grand national

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
You're current problem doesn't appear to be a "Hot Air Problem". If you have a Rod knock it is nearly identical to a Rod knock in a V6 in a 82 2bbl Regal, Sure, nobody rebuilds those anymore, but it doesn't mean they have forgotten how. You need to find an old guy who rebuilds buick motors, not a transmission shop that specializes in tuning '86/'87 Turbo Buicks,

Unbolting and bolting in a motor isn't hard. Throwing the motor in an old tire in the bed of a pickup and taking it somewhere is a lot easier/cheaper that towing a whole car around on a flatbed.

You could even haul a Buick V6 around on one of those $40 Hitch mounted racks from Harbor freight if you have an SUV and don't have a pickup.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
so again i went by recomendations from gbody forum for a guy whos name is mike kurts supposly "master gn mechanic and previous owner"

*****lmao my luck the front desk lady said michael was the guru of hot aired turbos only to have him call me 5 days later saying he dont do hot airs and he wont charge me nothing for looking at it !!!wtf but he did charge for getting vehicle towed from north houston to richmond tx aint that some sh** now i have to pay for a tow truck when his worker said he was the man with the plan so they sent there tow truck for my car now i have to pay 200$ for towing smfh unprofesional****

Reading through your posts......I think you can save yourself a ton of aggravation (and $) by learning to work on your own vehicles.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
You're current problem doesn't appear to be a "Hot Air Problem". If you have a Rod knock it is nearly identical to a Rod knock in a V6 in a 82 2bbl Regal, Sure, nobody rebuilds those anymore, but it doesn't mean they have forgotten how. You need to find an old guy who rebuilds buick motors, not a transmission shop that specializes in tuning '86/'87 Turbo Buicks,

Unbolting and bolting in a motor isn't hard. Throwing the motor in an old tire in the bed of a pickup and taking it somewhere is a lot easier/cheaper that towing a whole car around on a flatbed.

You could even haul a Buick V6 around on one of those $40 Hitch mounted racks from Harbor freight if you have an SUV and don't have a pickup.
good info thanks
Reading through your posts......I think you can save yourself a ton of aggravation (and $) by learning to work on your own vehicles.
i wish i knew i have a tight schedule with work 3 kids (ages 2 4 and 11) and a wife. plus now a days no ones likes to show you nothing its like the games to be sold not told :) and your totally right i should learn to do my own work maybe one day

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
good info thanks

i wish i knew i have a tight schedule with work 3 kids (ages 2 4 and 11) and a wife. plus now a days no ones likes to show you nothing its like the games to be sold not told :) and your totally right i should learn to do my own work maybe one day
I also have 3 kids around the same age. It is not uncommon for me to be wrenching out in the garage from 10-midnight....or early on a Sat or Sun morning. You'd be surprised how much an hour here and there can add up.

We live in a golden age of information....even an obscure car like an 84-85 hot air has a ton of info documented on sites like turbobuick. Imagine trying to address some of these same problems before the internet existed.....

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I built my first 87 GN 3.8 in the mid 90s. I learned the hard way that the oil pump gears need packed with petroleum jelly after rebuilding or new oil pump parts. I eat up bearings because of dry starting it. Ever since, I prime all my oil pumps with a drill. I was told by a GM tech that the Buick oil pump design can get an air lock if not packed with Vaseline.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If my Turbo cars were sitting for a long time, I'd take off the turbo feed oil line and with little funnel, pour oil into the line until it was full, then hook it back up to the turbo, then start the car. The turbo feed line goes straight to the pump and this would ensure the pump was primed.

A Spun bearing usually isn't an oil pressure problem on a turbo car. Buicks have such low oil pressure anyway, they'd ALL have spun bearings if that were the case. Low oil pressure is a symptom of spun bearings. Antifreeze in the oil usually was the problem and slapping on some new head gaskets and selling the car to a sucker before it grenades was usually the "solution".

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
there was no oil coming up to the engine top so put a a bit of diesel in the oil tube and it started pumping the oil good so stuck now in what else can i do or shall i get a engine rebuild??
B42F21C9-3764-48E2-A028-DCD195D2D940.jpeg
D2901107-5AA0-4C17-BFDF-D5975E66B6B5.jpeg

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If the motor has a knock, the damage is done. The most likely cause of low oil pressure is the bearings are wiped. If you want to drive the car and not have it seize up to never turn over again after you shut it off from the next 25 mile drive you take it on (or break the crank or throw a rod through the block) the motor is going to need to be rebuilt.

Though heads look pretty clean, Like a previous owner blew a headgasket, washed down all of the bearings and the guy cleaned up the heads before bolting them back on.

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
i sold that piece of sh*t ima stay focused on my 84 regal bullsh1t a55 mechanic5 2 !! smh sold it cheap but took the grill amber lights front lights and tail lights and the honk button for my regal
ED7F30B7-935F-40F6-B6DD-A12E430F98E5.jpeg
8EBD3415-1F6B-498F-AC34-71D082CF35B4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor