Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
F77F2F20-FCB1-4A21-BCC6-9BDDD362F21E.png
D99683EC-B5E2-49E4-B7F1-123B4A654A62.png
53ECCF86-EAE9-439A-8369-0612931BB978.png
Post a reply to them on why they couldn't get things right.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If there is a knock in the motor, the motor has to come out. You can take off the pan in the car, but its a pain in the butt and only takes a little longer to pull the motor. With the motor out they can flip it over and check the bearing clearances and the condition of the bearings.

Just make sure the knock isn't the idler pulley before they pull the motor.

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
If there is a knock in the motor, the motor has to come out. You can take off the pan in the car, but its a pain in the butt and only takes a little longer to pull the motor. With the motor out they can flip it over and check the bearing clearances and the condition of the bearings.

Just make sure the knock isn't the idler pulley before they pull the motor.
when i asked if he chekced the idler pulley he said

"Yeah we took the belt off...you can visually see it stopped pumping iil tp the top"

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If the belt is stretched or too long, the idler pulley can make a "knocking" noise if it bounces off the stop. This is a longshot, but it can happen and sound like a rod knock.

On intercooled cars, a loose intercooler bracket can also sound like a rod knock on an engine with a rough idle.

I would think the problem is a rod knock from a previous blown head gasket that was driven on. The Turbo previously eating itself also points to this. Turbos generally last forever, until you run antifreeze through the bearings. When the motor gets rebuilt, I would look for "milkshake" residue in the nooks and crannies inside the block before they clean it.

Multiple times while at the track, Buick guys have got rod knocks and almost in every case they had a recent blown head gasket event.

200 HP buick motors generally don't get rod knocks in normal use. My bottom end was flogged on for hundreds on drag strip passes and deep into the 11's and over 100K miles and never made a sound, because I never blew a head gasket.

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
Post a reply to them on why they couldn't get things right.
i should burn them right but ima let them make it this time i feel like who ever gets mad first them or me looses so i cross my fingers everything goes good i shall mess around and do a prayer call from all the gbf members lmao

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

If you could talk him down to $2400, sell the rear axle for $600 in a day and have a running short block, with everything to eventually convert over to intercooled for $1800. Which would be worth it Rebuilding your '85 motor will cost more than $1800 and when you are done, you won't have ANY parts to eventually convert over to an intercooled car, you'll just have an newly rebuilt 200 HP V6 that nobody likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor