1985 Olds 442 Headliner with moonroof

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergio

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
Has anyone replaced there headliner on a 85 442 with a moonroof. I need the board , the old one was to flimsy ...
I checked a couple places online , the shipping is nuts.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Of course, buyer beware.

Abs board are, IMO, flimsier than then a cracked OEM foam board that can be reinforced with resin and mesh tape.

Usually they arrive folded up in package and have a tough time holding up under the weight of fabric once installed.

If it were me if hold out for a used one and repair it if you threw away your original already. If not, just rehab it.

Reactions: 1 user

Swindells

Apprentice
Jun 22, 2019
I’ve got a moonroof cutlass also that doesn’t have a headliner so I’ll probably be looking to order one of these also

Couldn’t you just reinforce the abs one the same way you are saying to reinforce the oem one?

I think end of the day you’d have the exact same result

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Has anyone replaced there headliner on a 85 442 with a moonroof. I need the board , the old one was to flimsy ...
Your best bet is to find an original and reuse The factory foam substrate. Those ABS headliners are a joke. If making them out of ABS was such a great idea, The OEMs would be doing it as a cost save. Being an engineer in the field I am not aware of any ABS resin capable of withstanding the high temperature requirements that a headliner is exposed to. In spite of this, They falsely claim “The ABS plastic will not warp or absorb moisture resulting in a headliner that will look as good as your original!” I call BS. I bought one of these years ago for a car that I was flipping. The headliner showed up warped, was super heavy and thick. The cut outs for the lights were also in the wrong place. I promptly returned it.

Reactions: 1 user

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
Where are you located? I have one in DE

Swindells

Apprentice
Jun 22, 2019
They do have a lifetime warranty on the headliner plastic?

They wouldn’t offer that if they were needing to replace them on every sale

Sounds like you guys just enjoy the hunt for old parts 😂

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
They do have a lifetime warranty on the headliner plastic?

They wouldn’t offer that if they were needing to replace them on every sale

Sounds like you guys just enjoy the hunt for old parts 😂
I'd say the answer in that case is go ahead and try one for yourself.

If something is crappy and didn't work well for you because of an inherent design flaw, and you had to pay return shipping plus replacement shipping to get the exact same thing that didn't work the first time, would you waste money asking for a second, third, or fourth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor