1986 grand prix 2+2 notch back legit?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

deso600

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2012
friend of mine just bought this car from the original owner who got it new off the lot it is a 1986 pontiac gp 2+2 has all the options as a regular one just no 3pc window or a spoiler has the two tone paint but no badges even the front end is the real one ill try and post pics but heres a link to the pics let me know what you think
http://imageshack.us/g/441/nonamejq.jpg/

Attachments

• noname (1).jpg
    noname (1).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,247
  • noname (2).jpg
    noname (2).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,152
  • noname (3).jpg
    noname (3).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,177
  • noname.jpg
    noname.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 2,082

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
looks pretty good.you dont want one of those HIDEOUS,aerocoupes!!! Damn,I hate them and the Monte aero's!!! :puke: what was GM thinking?! :blam: neways enjoy the build,and cant wait to see pr 8) ogress on the 2+2!!! Are the headlight buckets the same as the Monte ss? If so put some celeb's in there!!!!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
To the best of my knowledge, GM only built a couple of notchback GP 2+2s. They were built for GM execs, and they were painted maroon. As I said, as far as I know, there were no 2+2 notchbacks built in the original silver/grey colour scheme. I believe that one of the maroon notchbacks is in the GM heritage collection (or at least it was up until recently-I know that GM auctioned off part of its heritage collection, when the company was in financial trouble a couple of years ago). The car that your friend bought may have had the 2+2 nose and paint put on it by the dealer, prior to its sale to the original owner, or it may have suffered some damage to the rear of the car at some point, and been converted back to a standard Grand Prix at the rear, and just repainted to match the 2+2 colour scheme. At any rate, your friend should try and get some documentation for the car. I believe that the RPO code for the 2+2 option in 1986 was Y97. Have your friend check the GM service parts ID label in the trunk to try to verify this. If all else fails, I believe that Pontiac Historical Services is still in business in the States-they should be able to confirm whether or not the car is a genuine 2+2. IMHO, I don't think so.

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
It appears to have all the correct paint around the drivers side window, the black trim, and the correct interior. There is simply too much stuff done to it not to be original. I am suspecting that at one point someone took out the rear window. Either custom order, or due to an accident at some part. If the original owner swears it came like that, I would try to get build sheets, documentation on it. Possibly you have a one off car and could be worth some coin. But most likely someone took the window out of it. Plus no stripe kit either.

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
also on the regular GPs the SPID was a label stuck on the trunklid. In a 2+2, it was in a plastic pouch velcroed on to the trunklid. I would see if the label VIN matches the cars VIN. If it does, then I think you might have something, especially if that label shows Y97

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I can tell you from the VIN, that the car was built in Canada, its a 2 door G body, and it has the standard 305 4 barrel engine. As Crazyliver says, you need to find the Service Parts ID label in the trunk. Also, as he says, if its a real 2+2, the label will be in a vinyl pouch, with a clear plastic window in it. If you find the SPID label, look for the Y97 RPO code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor