1986 Hurst Olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
We could quibble and parse factual details all day. The H/OCA did allow the cars with kits to be recognized as Hurst/Olds. And while I personally am not a huge fan of the kit, I do go along with the H/OCA decision. It does have H/O roots and designed to fit Oldsmobiles. The 23 and Me swab came back and said so!

I mean, they allowed a plain old 85 442 with a repro FE3X body kit on it in the club, so I guess anything is possible. As far as H/O lineage, I'm thinking it has about 1/1,024 H/O bloodline in it if any at all. :)

Everyone's got an opinion I suppose.
A decision like that or a vote just open doors for other clubs to make bad decisions. Hurst made the His and Hers shifters , is H/OCA going vote on that shifter if you have it in A body cutlass its considered Hurst/Olds. That shifter does have roots to Oldsmobile. There are times you need to draw the line and preserve history not change it to make a few individuals happy.
And yes everyone does have different opinions.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A decision like that or a vote just open doors for other clubs to make bad decisions. Hurst made the His and Hers shifters , is H/OCA going vote on that shifter if you have it in A body cutlass its considered Hurst/Olds. That shifter does have roots to Oldsmobile. There are times you need to draw the line and preserve history not change it to make a few individuals happy.
And yes everyone does have different opinions.
There's the Lightning Rods as well, not just his/hers. I agree that there should be a limit to what is and what isn't a Hurst/Olds. But those were administrative decisions. I don't ever recall a vote by the membership for any of that. I'm sure they had their reasons. But if IIRC, the purchase of an 88 Aero kit got you a year's membership in the H/OCA if you registered the kit with Hurst. But I could be misremembering all the crap that was included in the paperwork with the kit. But somehow that keeps floating up in my foggy mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Joe Vitek's car is the nicest I have seen. Remember it was the body kit in the body kit on everything 80's and the 69 Hurst/Olds was a massive departure from the subtle 68. I like the kit but the front skirt, if it was properly reworked to look less like a 1800's hoop skirt, would it still be considered a Hurst/Olds? I was thinking of switching around the 442 decals to really **** with people, as my 403 stroker comes out to 424 ci, is that sacrlidge? Personal touches make these cars special but should give a heavy nod to the unique heritage and for me it has to have an Olds V8 in it.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I just saw a pic of the car in my issue of Muscle Car Review this morning. It's in the article on the Hurst National at Carllisle.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Aren't you one of the advisor for H/OCA for the 88 H/O? Well I will tell you, cars with those kits on it are not Hurst/Olds stop misleading the public. GM had no partnership with Doc or Hurst in 1988. The only partnership that Hurst had with GM/Olds was from 68-84 with there own designated codes at the factory.
Misleading the public? Sounds like you're the type that doesn't like to be called wrong... and whatever you tell me means nothing, it's just YOUR bias opinion like a handful of others because you don't like the car and is of the contrary to what is recognized as the facts.

I suppose all the Pace Cars, convertibles and prototypes, wagons and 4 door Delta 88's are not Hurst Olds' either since they never rolled off the factory line with a trim tag or RPO designation since they were not accounted for in the total production numbers and were modified baseline cars by Hurst Performance. :rolleyes:
What about all those Pontiac's Doc made from 59-67? No factory designation codes with those... still Hurst vehicles.
'88's with the kits are Hurst Olds, all other years were Hurst Aero cars, this '86 Cutlass is not a Hurst Olds in this case but rather a Hurst Aero Commemorative... maybe you missed that.

The '88 kits came with Hurst/Olds emblems and there was back and forth communication with GM on the '88 H/O's that allowed Hurst to sell the kits with these emblems, GM is very particular on licensing... they also came with 20th Anniversary decals as well.

Original purchase of the kit also came with a membership to the H/OCA.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor