1986 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 Resurrection

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Re: 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 resto

Nice lookin car but I agree with Blake, do it right. It'll be worth alot of money someday but you gotta do it right. I wanna see more pic's of the rear! It's good to see someone saving one of these, I've never actually seen one in person, lotsa pic's! Good luck in yor project

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI

Thanks bumpin, blake, and midwest. Now I know I didn't do it right but the end of school had me rushed :( There was about a good ten drilled through holes that I didn't tack in because I thought it would still hold, The welder had also just burned right through the paint while I was welding so I didn't think it was a problem. Someone had mentioned the same thing to me but their just wasn't enough time, I had done about 8 long beads along each side and skiped in between to prevent warp. I didn't have any seam seal at the time but I knew I needed it and thats why I'm not gluing the carpet down thanks again for the suggestions and when my senior year starts back up next year I'll do it the right way. The car will be in my driveway because I don't have a liscense but have been driving with my permit for a year now

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI

midwest and phoenyx, I got some more pictures for you guys

Attachments

• Grand Prix 38.jpg
    Grand Prix 38.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 6,773
  • Grand Prix 37.jpg
    Grand Prix 37.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 2,624
  • Grand Prix 36.jpg
    Grand Prix 36.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 2,692

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI

The last of them for today

Attachments

• Grand Prix 40.jpg
    Grand Prix 40.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 2,464
  • Grand Prix 39.jpg
    Grand Prix 39.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 2,526

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada

Wow that think looks cool. 8)

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

There is a nice 403 for sale on here that would work great in it for very reasonable money. Although I would be tempted to put stroker Pontiac 400 in it.(474) or 455 or with some bucks an Indian adventures Pontiac.

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI

thanks again Phoenyx! and dogshit I have a complete 350 I've been working on. Getting a sandblaster tomorrow so I can prep it for paint, I'm thinking of painting the block, heads, and intake blue. I know it would'nt match right now but I'm planning on going back to the factory silver, putting pontiac rally's on it, making a saphire/emerald blue pinstripe, and making the pontiac 2+2 saphire blue to. That would get a little theme going but not to much to make it look ricer.

Attachments

• mach up.jpg
    mach up.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2,606
  • 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2.jpg
    1986 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,890

jasonreid

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2011
Rockmart, Georgia

Awesome looking 2+2 :D I want to build my 84 LE into a 2+2, even with the back window but modify it to be a hatchback. That can be done with a lot of work...lol

The one thing I will say about the GP 2+2s is that you can almost make them look like a car that might have been developed and released in the last few years. I've read articles that said the GP 2+2 was the most aerodynamic of all the G-bodies, including the SS Aerocoupe. That boxy but aerodynamic look is what is popular with car designs right now, such as the Charger, Camaro, etc.

You'll easily turn heads with that baby but to be honest I'd love to see you keep the maroon color. It's a good color for that car and not overpowering. The silver is nice and also looks good on that car but that's all those things came in...... lol

Here's something I'll throw out at you that i want to do. I plan on adding some round projection headlamps in place of the old style square headlamps but push them out towards the outer sides of the headlamp housings. I did a sketch of it a long time ago and the idea looks NICE on paper especially with the 2+2 nose. I don't have the sketch anymore though... :( I'm even working on a clear lens cover design to add more detail.

I found this thread someone did back in December that has the style I'm going for. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24652 It's a Monte with round projectors and it definitely has potential if the owner gets it all cleaned up and finished off. I'll want something like that but have them pushed towards the outside with an additional parking light between the high beam and the grill.

Regardless, you have yourself a molten hot piece of machinery. One of the best GBodies built in terms of design. It's just sad it had a paltry weakened 305 in it.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

You can buy brand new 15x7 & 15x8 Pontiac ralleys.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010

dogshit said:
I would be tempted to put stroker Pontiac 400 in it.(474) or 455 or with some bucks an Indian adventures Pontiac.

X2! I've gained a lot of interest in these 2+2's lately. Maybe I'll look for one when the GP is finished :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor