1987 Cutlass Supreme Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaTrain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2017
Rockwell, North Carolina
I want to replace shocks and springs. Not exactly sure what brand I want to go with or even what system. I have a general idea but I'm open to any plausible suggestions.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it all depends on what you want, what level of performance and what level of comfort you're looking for....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

PapaTrain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2017
Rockwell, North Carolina
it all depends on what you want, what level of performance and what level of comfort you're looking for....

Not looking to replicate the smooth rolling ride from factory springs. In my opinion, the car sits a little to low factory. Mean up the stance a little while giving it some better responsiveness. Not looking to go racing daily but I do catch someone slipping at a light from time to time

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
As pontiacgp said, it all depends on your ride quality preference. I would recommend getting some drop springs which actually might raise the car depending on how wore out the factory springs are now. Tons of brands, umi, bmr, hotchkis to name a few.
Shocks are that way too, ive been running hotchkis springs and koni shocks for years....stiffer than stock but not gut jarring! Bilsteins are probably the best suited for our cars, but many options out there!!!
Give UMI a call, tell them what your realistic ride quality goals are, and they will be able to recommend a good balance. Also, everything they sell, they test it first, and it's USA made!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Why don't you post some pictures of your current stance and it will be easier to get opinions on where to go from there to achieve your goals.

• Agree

PapaTrain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2017
Rockwell, North Carolina
Why don't you post some pictures of your current stance and it will be easier to get opinions on where to go from there to achieve your goals.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 280

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think it actually sits pretty good, have you considered upgrading the rims and tires?

• Agree

PapaTrain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2017
Rockwell, North Carolina
I think it actually sits pretty good, have you considered upgrading the rims and tires?
Definitely gonna replace rims and tires. Putting stock rally wheels, and some sort of white letter tires on. Replacing shocks and springs as well. Just don't want to go too high dollar if I don't need to but I do want performance...also want the rear a little lower than the front.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 264

PapaTrain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2017
Rockwell, North Carolina
As pontiacgp said, it all depends on your ride quality preference. I would recommend getting some drop springs which actually might raise the car depending on how wore out the factory springs are now. Tons of brands, umi, bmr, hotchkis to name a few.
Shocks are that way too, ive been running hotchkis springs and koni shocks for years....stiffer than stock but not gut jarring! Bilsteins are probably the best suited for our cars, but many options out there!!!
Give UMI a call, tell them what your realistic ride quality goals are, and they will be able to recommend a good balance. Also, everything they sell, they test it first, and it's USA made!
Definitely gonna look into umi. Hotchkis springs look good, how do you like the ride?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Definitely gonna look into umi. Hotchkis springs look good, how do you like the ride?
When i first added the springs and shocks years ago it stiffened my 87 cutlass up a ton....but it had the mushy "granny highway" ride to it prior.
It feels like it's on rails now though.

However, i have all new poly body bushings which stiffened it up, bmr upper a arms, factory lowers with new bushings, bmr front sway bar, bmr rear tubular upper control arms and boxed lower arms with poly bushings, and hotchkis control arm mount braces. I still need a new rear sway bar, umi shock tower brace, nd a front grand prix bar to finish it up. I wanted it to feel tight and it definitely does that for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor