1987 Cutlass Supreme Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaTrain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2017
Rockwell, North Carolina
When i first added the springs and shocks years ago it stiffened my 87 cutlass up a ton....but it had the mushy "granny highway" ride to it prior.
It feels like it's on rails now though.

However, i have all new poly body bushings which stiffened it up, bmr upper a arms, factory lowers with new bushings, bmr front sway bar, bmr rear tubular upper control arms and boxed lower arms with poly bushings, and hotchkis control arm mount braces. I still need a new rear sway bar, umi shock tower brace, nd a front grand prix bar to finish it up. I wanted it to feel tight and it definitely does that for sure!
That's what mine has. Too "floaty" when it drives.

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would try some good shocks first, that alone might give you the ride you are looking for.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I appreciate the input slick!!

That's a good idea,it's the easiest and cheapest way to go and if the shocks don't give you the ride you want you haven't wasted your money and you'll have to change the springs. UMI has some nice lowering springs.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
After trying new shocks I would next get your rallye rims and new tires on, usually new tires especially when you upgrade size will feel different and if you still feel you want springs at least you know already how it will look with the rims and tires on versus changing your ride height with springs and then finding out they don't work well with the new combo.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
If you want to get rid of the "floaty" feeling I would suggest new springs and shocks.

Just be careful of upgrading spring rates and using shocks that don't have the correct valving to handle the rates.

The factory G-Body spring rates were all over the place. We offer front coil springs with 600lb rates and rears of 130lb. This set-up is basically to remove the "floaty" feel you are speaking of while still maintaining a pleasurable street ride. These springs coupled with our custom valved non adjustable gas charged monotube shocks are a pretty sweet combination!

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_64_361

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_377_351

If you need any info or want to discuss anything feel free to give me a call here at the shop.

Craig

Reactions: 1 users

PapaTrain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2017
Rockwell, North Carolina
If you want to get rid of the "floaty" feeling I would suggest new springs and shocks.

Just be careful of upgrading spring rates and using shocks that don't have the correct valving to handle the rates.

The factory G-Body spring rates were all over the place. We offer front coil springs with 600lb rates and rears of 130lb. This set-up is basically to remove the "floaty" feel you are speaking of while still maintaining a pleasurable street ride. These springs coupled with our custom valved non adjustable gas charged monotube shocks are a pretty sweet combination!

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_64_361

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_377_351

If you need any info or want to discuss anything feel free to give me a call here at the shop.

Craig
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the drop springs. I'm not going for a touring look...want an mean stance with no drop i.e.:

Attachments

• IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 185

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Maybe just go with a new set of F41 springs (stock to Monte SS, 442, etc.)?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the drop springs. I'm not going for a touring look...want an mean stance with no drop i.e.:

I'm not sure how to get a mean stance on these cars at stock ride height....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

PapaTrain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2017
Rockwell, North Carolina
I'm not sure how to get a mean stance on these cars at stock ride height....
That's cool too. Appreciate it anyway. I think all leveled out, but not too high with the right meat makes it look mean. That's what I'm working with right now...I'm not one that thinks you have to lower a gbody to make it look mean.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 196
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor