1987 EL Camino. Aircraft mechanic. Accidently touched battery leads backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

an8pilot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
1987 EL Camino V8 305. Aircraft mechanic. Accidently touched battery leads backwards. Now, car starter rotates, all lights work, but no start. No spark at plug laid on exhaust manifold. Checked all fuses and the two metal c.b. in the fuse panel have continuity with ohm meter. Checked the large lug on back of alternator has 13v when battery hooked up. There may be fusable links where battery cable goes to starter lug but haven't jacked up car to check yet. Doesn't seem fusable links would blow with backwards power, but seems it would blow generator diodes but that doesn't seem to answer all of a sudden no spark to a running car. Jumped power from batt to red large lead on coil and still no spark. Yes there is fuel. Smell it when turning over. And used starting fluid to verify. But again checked no start.

Any thoughts? Need my get around car. She moves airplanes in and out of the hangar too.

Car electrical systems are sometimes harder to understand than airplanes.

I know you guys know what's going on.

Last edited:

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Are you getting the warning lights coming on the dash before turning the key to the crank position?

an8pilot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
Thanks for asking. I don't see any warning lights in the actual dash panel when starting or key on run, meaning the speedometer, water temp, oil pressure, gas gage, and volt gage, no warning lights. The lights to the right the fasten seat belt light came on, but not brake. The choke and service engine lights I had removed the bulbs. I will replace them. The volts gage pops up immediately to register volts with key on and the seat belt light turns on.

Just tried all this after you asked.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Make sure you have 12v during crank on the pink 12ga at the distributor. If not, verify 12v on the 2 10ga reds at the ignition switch. If not, check fusible links at starter. I think some circuits rest at ground, so that's why the link would pop.

Now, the real question is: you work on things that fall from way up in the sky. :wtf: are you doing hooking batteries up backwards?!

Reactions: 1 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Since you said you run 12v to the distributor and no spark it sounds like the module got fried.

Reactions: 1 user

an8pilot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
Fleming I'll recheck all you said in a few minutes. Answer to the wtf uhhhh I can only say we have to recognizemwe are all human and f u every day so we have to be looking for it. Was in a rush and screwed up. We usually don't rush airplanes. Thank you will look at all those wires and voltages again next now that you gave me a better idea what to look for in ref to "Make sure you have 12v during crank on the pink 12ga at the distributor. If not, verify 12v on the 2 10ga reds at the ignition switch".

And OH in ref to.... " If not, check fusible links at starter. "I think some circuits rest at ground, so that's why the link would pop." Thank you.

Regal when you say module do you mean ECM? Thank you.

Last edited:

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I've done it. Late at night, tired, raining, PO'd at whatever, all at the same time. Throw battery in and slap cables on... uh, WTF smoke? Good luck!

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Fleming I'll recheck all you said in a few minutes. Answer to the wtf uhhhh I can only say we have to recognizemwe are all human and f u every day so we have to be looking for it. Was in a rush and screwed up. We usually don't rush airplanes. Thank you will look at all those wires and voltages again next now that you gave me a better idea what to look for in ref to "Make sure you have 12v during crank on the pink 12ga at the distributor. If not, verify 12v on the 2 10ga reds at the ignition switch".

And OH in ref to.... " If not, check fusible links at starter. "I think some circuits rest at ground, so that's why the link would pop." Thank you.

Regal when you say module do you mean ECM? Thank you.0
Jus' razzin' ya! :friday:
I think he's referring to the HEI module in the base of the distributor.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Yes the ignition module in the distributor.

an8pilot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
Ok ....my visitors gone away so I can get back to checking. Thank you fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor