1987 Monte Carlo SS Build - Aka Project Grown

P

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
Why's that? I know it wont pass tech for NHRA rules but for the street I don't see the issue

Reactions: Tony1968
P

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
All,

I am sorry for the lack of updates, I have been doing my best to sort this car out but still she's not running right. I will give a quick break down of the last few weeks of frustration!

-Tried 3 carbs on the car still ran rich, tried a 4th carb and the car leaned out and started to backfire... which at that point lead me to the cam.
-I also changed from a 6010 mid box to a 6014 just for good measure (same running issues)
-Pulled cam out and noticed the (hex-a-just) Cloyes chain had went full retarded which I found odd. So I Bought a new Cloyes timing set.
-Pulled the cam to verify no wear or issues and found that somehow by mistake I installed the timing chain bearing on the inside of the cam plate (which was causing my cam sensor fault)
-Also bought a ATI balancer just for good measure
-Put everything back together and started the car, it ran better but still backfired.
-I then figured okay since I bought the 243 heads used and I am running a LS7 lifter maybe the pushrods that I also got with the (cam, head, intake I bought used) were the wrong size, holding a valve open)
-Changed the push rods a few times but the heads were so weak from the old owner (which I didn't know) 3 rocker bolts pulled the threads completely out of the head at 22lbs.
-Heli coiled the 3 re-torqued and noticed 4 others were also held coiled. One hell coil pulled out and I know I can't fix that without removing the head and to be honest I don't trust these heads anymore!
-Patched everything up good enough to run, bought new plugs and started the engine today, runs better but the drivers side two rear cylinders I don't believe are firing.. header temps are only around 110-120 when all the others were around 160 after a few minutes of running.
-SO I am still unsure why the back two are colder, I haven't pulled the plugs yet but I ordered a set of AFR 230 heads today which really hurts as they are super pricey but I am just trying to eliminate any potential issues and I don't trust the 243's I currently have.

I really just want to be able to drive the car a little bit this year but it really really doesn't want to cooperate.

Reactions: Tony1968
M

mc1984ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2020
That stinks sorry to hear about all the issues. If it helps at all be glad you didn't get to make some WOT passes. If one of those rocker bolts pulled out it would have made a mess in a hurry.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor