1987 Monte Carlo SS Build - Aka Project Grown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
Did you adjust the idle mixture with a vacuum gauge? It's obviously flooding the front. How are the transfer slots (should be square)?

Will have to use vacuum gauge to play with the idle mixture. Need to get the car on its wheels today and pull it out of the garage!

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
There is a lot of good info on that spec sheet that you posted. I've been tuning two separate carbs on my 519 with a AFR gauge and learning and logging every change and its result.
I'm sure that they are wayyyyyyyyyyyy more qualified to tune carbs that myself…………………………..but if it were me the first thing that I would do is replace the #40 squirters with #31. You are quickly dumping a load of gas in both front and rear with #41s. And I don't think that 30cc pumps were ever designed to feed #41 squirters to begin with. In short, every time you touch the gas pedal your dumping more fuel into the manifold than you need. Like I said #31s are enough.
I'd move down to #33 idle restriction jets. It will lean out your cruise a bit. If you do this you may need to open the idle screws a bit, maybe not.
You may consider buying an AFR gauge.

Reactions: 2 users

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
Haven't solved the rich idle issue yet, but put the wheels on for the first time today and noticed that the lower control arm is like a 1/16'' away from the brake rotor (willwood) ... Anyone else run into this issue or have an idea if this is okay, seems like when the suspension travels it will make contact with the rotor.

Called UMI and left a message

Attachments

• IMG_8762.jpg
    IMG_8762.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_8764.jpg
    IMG_8764.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_8765.jpg
    IMG_8765.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Haven't solved the rich idle issue yet, but put the wheels on for the first time today and noticed that the lower control arm is like a 1/16'' away from the brake rotor (willwood) ... Anyone else run into this issue or have an idea if this is okay, seems like when the suspension travels it will make contact with the rotor.

Called UMI and left a message
I know some manufacturers trim back (cope) the outer potion of the BJ 'cup' for additional clearance. I would do that pending UMI's input.

Reactions: 1 users

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
They are UMI taller ball joints that's how they sit.

I spoke to UMI and they told me to call Wilwood, called Wilwood and confirmed they are installed correctly. Both companies said they weren't overly concerned with the clearance but certainly seems too close for my liking. Maybe I could shave some material off but Id really hate to do that....

Spindles are modified stock as per Wilwood and hubs are Wilwood

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
Contacted Patrick at Pro systems to see if he could help. Im only getting like 5'' of vacuum at idle which concerns me as I think I would have been closer to 10-12 with my cam. I put 5.5 PV back in and left the smaller 70 jets.

My float bowl is showing fuel at the very bottom, while idling fuel is pouring out of the primary boosters, fuel PSI is 5-6. I even tried turning in the mixture screws until they are completely closed and the car didn't die.

Starts, runs idles... just extremely rich. Plugs are mangled and raw fuel out the exhaust.

I checked for spark and all cylinders are firing, I also did a compression test and all is well across the board.

Im stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor