1987 Monte Carlo SS Build - Aka Project Grown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
Why's that? I know it wont pass tech for NHRA rules but for the street I don't see the issue

Reactions: 1 user

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
All,

I am sorry for the lack of updates, I have been doing my best to sort this car out but still she's not running right. I will give a quick break down of the last few weeks of frustration!

-Tried 3 carbs on the car still ran rich, tried a 4th carb and the car leaned out and started to backfire... which at that point lead me to the cam.
-I also changed from a 6010 mid box to a 6014 just for good measure (same running issues)
-Pulled cam out and noticed the (hex-a-just) Cloyes chain had went full retarded which I found odd. So I Bought a new Cloyes timing set.
-Pulled the cam to verify no wear or issues and found that somehow by mistake I installed the timing chain bearing on the inside of the cam plate (which was causing my cam sensor fault)
-Also bought a ATI balancer just for good measure
-Put everything back together and started the car, it ran better but still backfired.
-I then figured okay since I bought the 243 heads used and I am running a LS7 lifter maybe the pushrods that I also got with the (cam, head, intake I bought used) were the wrong size, holding a valve open)
-Changed the push rods a few times but the heads were so weak from the old owner (which I didn't know) 3 rocker bolts pulled the threads completely out of the head at 22lbs.
-Heli coiled the 3 re-torqued and noticed 4 others were also held coiled. One hell coil pulled out and I know I can't fix that without removing the head and to be honest I don't trust these heads anymore!
-Patched everything up good enough to run, bought new plugs and started the engine today, runs better but the drivers side two rear cylinders I don't believe are firing.. header temps are only around 110-120 when all the others were around 160 after a few minutes of running.
-SO I am still unsure why the back two are colder, I haven't pulled the plugs yet but I ordered a set of AFR 230 heads today which really hurts as they are super pricey but I am just trying to eliminate any potential issues and I don't trust the 243's I currently have.

I really just want to be able to drive the car a little bit this year but it really really doesn't want to cooperate.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
That stinks sorry to hear about all the issues. If it helps at all be glad you didn't get to make some WOT passes. If one of those rocker bolts pulled out it would have made a mess in a hurry.

Reactions: 1 users

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
Brief update

Sorry for the delays motivation has been at an all time low!

So I got the engine back together with the new AFR heads. Vacuum issue solved and car was running not so bad, now she's running poor again but that's due to fowled plugs. I still was unable to get my Prosystems carb to run worth a sh*t and its extremely frustrating as my old 20 year old Holley runs perfect on the car. ANYWAYS

finally got the car to the shop to have the exhaust fabricated... turned out okay... still not 100% but it will grow on me.

I need help with my PCV system. currently I am venting the driver side valve cover to a catch can and am getting tons of smoke, if I un cap both valve covers and let them breathe I still get a lot of smoke out of them when the engine is hot. I ordered 2 breathers and a LS6 valley cover as my current cover has no provisions for PCV, any tips?

Other than that I need to fix a few oil leaks, wire the fans, setup suspension alignment, weld trans tunnel, put interior back in and wire up the gauges.... and change rear wheel studs.

This winter I need to build a 8.8 rear and look for an aluminum block 6.2.. I would really like to save some weight on the front end.

just need to get my mojo back!

Attachments

• IMG_9163.jpg
    IMG_9163.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_9165.jpg
    IMG_9165.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_9325.jpg
    IMG_9325.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 230

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I've been meaning to ask if you ever got it sorted out. Sorry it still isn't right. What don't you like about the exhaust? From looking at a small picture it looks pretty nice!

• Agree

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
I've been meaning to ask if you ever got it sorted out. Sorry it still isn't right. What don't you like about the exhaust? From looking at a small picture it looks pretty nice!

Like any project always a work in progress!! When you lose the motivation hard to get it back, but I'll get her sorted!

As for the exhaust some of the piping is polished stainless vis regular stainless, I wanted to do a side exit in front of the rear wheels but would have ran into clearance issues so we decided to go up over the rear end and out. I am just picky!! Sounds good, little on the loud side but hey... keeps my neighbours loving me

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
help needed...

So it appears my tie rod ends are making contact with my ride tech muscle bar (sway bar)

Anyone else run into this issue? did you use tie rod ends that are extended down, if so which brand?

thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor