1987 Olds 442 Project Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
The finished product will most definitely scream Oldsmobile. I think you will like my choice in wheels too when I get them.

Here's a couple of pictures of me yanking the frame out.
442_7.JPG
442_8.JPG
442_9.JPG

It was interesting getting the frame out by myself. It took some time since I started with the jack stands inside the frame perimeter. I definitely did it the hard way, but I got it done.

Last edited:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
oldsofb said:
Good point on the 2004R in GN's. If you think it's stock though, guess again. Art Carr will sell you a 2004R that will handle 750+ HP for $2700. I can buy a TCI TH400 rated at 750-1025 for $1560. It's all about math and $$, and isn't hot rodding all about overkill?

Yes, they're expensive, but you don't always need all the bells and whistles and pay that kind of money. I mean, if you aren't planning on making 750+ HP, then you don't need to spend so much on a transmission that can handle 750+ HP right? But the whole point in choosing a 2004r of course is the fact it has OD and an old 3 speed transmission simply can't compete with it in this regard.

Yeah the 400 is going to be stronger overall ( stronger than anything you may even need ) and a bit cheaper, but you don't get the OD. OD is HUGE on a street car! OD makes driving your car a more pleasurable experience ( less noise/vibration ), saves you money on gas, and saves your engine from excessive wear and tear. Hard to use math and put a price on that but if you choose to go with an ''old school' 400, then fair enough. As long as you're happy with it, then that's all that matters. I know for me not having OD would be utterly unbearable!

The 8.5 and SSIII's were the first things I sold when I took her apart.

Man I would totally have bought those wheels off of you. Those SSII's are the best looking wheels on these cars IMO.

Oh and nice pics too. I wish I had a heated garage so I could be working on my car right now too. Got to wait till next week before I pull my engine...

P.S. So what power level are looking at anyway? What gears will you be running? What ET's are looking at?

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Man I had a great post and the forum/internet lost it. :x Won't have time till next weekend.

Briefly these guys have nice build threads on Olds 455s in a Cutlass. Both built excellent drive them everywhere pump gas street cars. Your parts selection looks to turn a 442 street car into a cutlass drag car so they may not apply but you might check them out. Also you can check out my pics as I did an 87 442 but used a Cadillac 509. I kept the original vin9 307 with it so it could be returned if a collector wanted it.

If memory serves Bob ran a best of 12.3 @ 110 mph and got high 15 mpgs still tuning when his was stolen. Dwight ran 12.0 @ 112 mph and got 20 hwy. Mine ran a 12.5 @ 110 and managed 17.0 hwy without ever being dialed in. Dwight is also a mechanic by trade and a great tuner he managed to get a lot from a mild cam & stall. All three were big block, Q-jet, overdrive, lock up converter, and driven lots. Oh yea somebody has Olds 455 headers for a gbody so you don't have to build your own.

http://www.robertpowersmotorsports.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1381227/1 ... s-supreme/

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I don't think anything I wrote said it was going to be a drag car. I haven't even bought the trans yet. I DID however pick up a set of Kooks BB G-Body headers at the intro price when they came out 8)

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Your shop floor is almost as clean as mine. I like your attention to detail and the fact that your going with an Olds 455. Just as an FYI on transmissions though, you could have spent $1500 on a Stage 1 200 4R and kept the original trans with a modern overdrive (http://www.extremeautomatics.com/transm ... 2004r.html)

Thanks for the link Anubis. It actually made me consider the 2004R (especially with the reverse manual VB), but even in their "What Trans Do I Need?" page it states: The stage 1 was not designed for modified big blocks or torque monsters or Nitrous Engines that hit the torque curve like a sledge hammer. Guys are doing it but we do not recommend it.

They suggest the Stage 2 for modified BB engine use. Even a slightly warmed over 455 will pound out 450-500 ftlb through most of the torque curve. The Stage 2 is $1995 and there's still the converter to get which would be anywhere from $550 to $750. Weigh that against a TH400/converter for almost $1000 less, it makes it hard to choose on a budget. I love the idea of a 4 speed that keeps the stock look and feel, but my wallet says no.

My last word on this will be a definite "We'll see", since nothing is purchased yet. Who knows, maybe my Cafepress t-shirt shop starts making some mad money for me, or I dig up the flower bed and hit oil :lol: ...who knows. Extreme Automatics is def on my radar screen now though. See what you did! I think this is going to end up costing me $$

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I used Extreme with good results on two different 200-4R builds. The 509 was to produce about 570 foot pounds of torque. When I told Lonnie from Extreme about the motor he said he recommends using the billet forward drum for big blocks that make over 500 foot pounds and may wear drag radials or slicks. At that time it was just an upgrade added to the Stage 1. For stall I used a rebuilt upgraded factory "D5" like what you have in your 442 trans. It was $300 using my core for a furnace brazed anti ballooning yada yada 3,000 stall lock up. Although the multi disk aftermarkets are better. Some are reasonably priced some are not.

I first had that motor and trans in an 88 that I put about 9,000 miles on. A lady pulled out in front me and it bent the frame/horns when I Tboned her. I bought it back and then saved the 442 and moved the drive train over. Life happened and I decided to sell the car upon finishing it. I was having some trouble getting the TV adjusted and am now thinking the trans needed a refresh which Extreme will do very reasonably. Anyway the guy says he will watch it (I had a trans temp gauge in the car) and finish getting it adjusted. He must have been so excited because he forgot what trans temp guage was and all about getting the adjustment dialed it. It only took about 100 miles before he burned it up.

I loved he ole th400s until I bought the GN with the OD. But for me today they are just for track cars or bare bones builds where finances are too compromised. 33% less cruising rpm on the same gear equals a lot less wear and a lot better fuel economy as well as a lot less heat to tax your cooling system. I didn't want to spin my large bearing motor hard going down the highway as they are too expensive to rebuild. I didn't have high dollar valvetrain either so I didn't want to spin it hard for that reason as well. Plus being able to have the high stall converter that acts like a normal converter under part throttle or cruising was great as well as keeping the heat out that would otherwise happen with a high stall. Food for thought.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Good looking build!

I feel you on the transmission... the same decision process led me to put a TH400 in my car as well.
Most 200-4Rs won't handle 550+ ft.lbs., and I wasn't about to spend $2700 on a trans that might only last 10k miles.
Put that questionable $2700 200-4R up against the $900 bullet-proof TH400 and it was an absolute no-brainer.
One day when I have the funds the 200 will go back in the car, but I'm in no rush...

I figure if Oldsmobile would let you drive off the lot back in the day with a 455, TH400, 3.91 gears and they were confident enough to offer you a warranty, I should be just fine... :lol:

I would've left the 8.5" in there though lol... :razz:

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
So true on the TH400. When the time comes my money may make the decision for me. I would feel confident with the Stage 2 2004R for what I would use it for (Street cruiser with limited track time), but I could sleep like a baby with the old TH400 regardless of the level engine I go with. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor