1987 Olds 442 Project Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Thanks, to the three of you. That baby blue and yellow just wasn't going to cut it. I really like the natural metal colors and semi gloss black. The entire underside will be primarily cast iron grey, cast coat silver, and touches of stainless from the brake and fuel lines. Dominated by semi gloss black of course.

Well, it's off to Spring Carlisle in Pennsylvania. Beautiful country up there. More pics later.

A little trivia:
Pennsylvania means "Penn's woods." Quaker William Penn was granted the tract of land by King Charles II of England in 1681 as repayment of debt owed to Penn's father, Admiral William Penn. Originally, Penn suggested Sylvania (woodland) for his land.

Hutch

Woodswagon1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2013
Watched all your You Tube vids today and honestly I dont know how I didnt cross them before I got into the G Body forum site. It'd scare you how much crawl time ive spent on here top notch work and look forward to your future vids keep up the good work thats gonna be one stout, bad *ss G-BODY!!!! :notworthy:

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
Can't wait to see more progress! Looking great! Tell me, what is the benefit of the Jeep steering shaft? I have seen a lot of people do it, just not sure why.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Thank you everyone again.

As far as the jeep steering shaft, I am going to have to admit that since my car is in parts I can't give real world comments. With that being said, it does get rid of the rag joint at the steering gear side and now you have two U-Joints (one at either end). You also get the bonus of having a smaller and cleaner looking steering shaft that can help with header clearance.

All the modded builds I see on tv end up using a dual U-Joint shaft from a kit. Two new U-Joints and bar stock cut to lenght connecting them. It makes sense. Mine cost $50 from my local junk yard.

Hutch

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
Well, getting rid of the rag joint is a good reason. I have never seen one fail personally, but working with them is never fun. The jeep shaft has enough adjustability in it? It will bolt right in? I am getting my first Gbody and need lots of help :)

I have been working on a 1980 C10 for the past 9 years, and that is a bit different from a car :)

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Here is the thread where I first read about it. http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32906
Every G-Body based forum has a similar thread somewhere (just search G-Body jeep steering upgrade in Yahoo or Google). Turbo GN, Monte SS forums all rave about them.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Thank you Grand National! When I first started building my parts stash for my 442, most of the cool body specific parts I found were on Kirban Performance's website http://www.kirbanperformance.com/. You could get body bushings, alum bumper supports and all sorts of body brace kits that fit any G-Body.

This is where I got my Drive Shaft Loop and Rear Pinion Snubber from.
Kirban_Parts2.JPG

I also got my Window Anti Rattle kits from them as well as Door Strikers and Lock Pillar Reinforcement Plates.

I'm so happy to see GBodyParts http://www.gbodyparts.com/index.php?osCsid=501e4bca94d37fe15b08a45ff1114706 and tobyp blowing the parts list wide open on these cars. It's about time.

Hutch

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor