BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I just got a rear window sent to me from RockAuto. 1985 w/ rear defog in stock (1987 3rd brake light defog was out of stock)......go figure.

I found an 87 in a yard a half hour away from me. It has good glass and trim and some other small pieces. I always feel like I should be hoarding those hard to find parts for the future. I wish I had the space to start a stock pile.

It might be worth getting the quarter glass. Does anyone make replacements of that?

Hutch

Last edited:

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
It might be worth getting the quarter glass. Does anyone make replacements of that?

Hutch

It would be nice, especially the trim (if that's even a separate piece), but I don't think anyone does.

What type of glass does RockAuto sell? Just basically repop stuff that Safelite would install? That's a new one on me.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland

Rashaun

n00b
Oct 21, 2015
I missed the All GM Nats at Carlisle, but I made up with some more work on the 442. It's up on the rotisserie finally.

Accessible Systems 1500 Rotisserie is really well engineered and strong.
On_Rotisserie.JPG

The front brackets attached to the bottom hinge mount point.
Front_Mount.JPG

The rear special brackets I had them make to mount to the reverse lights sheet metal.
Rear_Mount.JPG

A couple of shots of the frame.
Frame_1.JPG

Frame_2.JPG

Well, that's it for now. More later.

Hutch

Hi I have watched a few of your videos on youtube and I have a 85 Buick Regal and I was wondering if you can help me out on getting some new torque boxes

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Thank you Santa!!!
UMI_Boxes.JPG

OK, so Santa is me with my credit card. But it was a cool sale with free shipping. It most certainly felt like Christmas when I got home tonight and found new parts in the garage.

Lower A-Arms and a Rear Shock Tower Brace
UMI_Opened.JPG

Thanks UMI!

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
So while I'm STILL waiting for bodywork (and the $$ to do it) I've been puttering around with small side projects on the car. Here's one:

Rally Gauge Refurbish

Disassembly
Rally_Gauge_2.JPG

Rally_Gauge_3.JPG

Rally_Gauge_4.JPG

Rally_Gauge_5.JPG

Rally_Gauge_6.JPG

Rally_Gauge_7.JPG

Rally_Gauge_12.JPG

Hutch

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I went to WhiteGauges.net and ordered custom gauge overlays. I got them in black with no km or trip OD on the speedo as well as a change in the tach yellow and red line (and maybe some written changes to the fuel gauge).

Rally_Gauge_14.JPG

I used a doner 85 mph speedo plate so I wouldn't ruin a 120 mph one. I filled in the bottom opening for the Trip OD delete.

Hutch

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
The overlays went on without any issues. The instructions were very specific to my gauges down to the pictures of an Olds Rally Gauge cluster in those instructions.

Rally_Gauge_16.JPG

I wanted an Olds Rocket on the tach, but Whitegauges said they couldn't due to copy write issues. I ended up making my own. With the flash on it's obvious that it's separate from the overlay, but installed and under the lens you can't tell at all. I like it. It also made me think how bare the speedo looks without all the busy km and trip od stuff there. I ended up with a logo on there as well.

Rally_Gauge_17.JPG

Temp, Fuel, Oil, Volts all came out great.

Rally_Gauge_18.JPG

Hutch

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor