BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Ha I forgot this. I had a small tool pouch that I brought to take the seat out and apart to get the track. I finished, payed, and went home. It wasn't until three days later that I unpacked my tool bag to put them back in my tool box. That is when I found my 13mm socket and a 3/8 drive ratchet wasn't in there. :doh:

By this point the yard was closed for the weekend. On Monday morning I went back and the ratchet was right where I left it...on the floor of the 86 I left it in. Glad there isn't a lot of traffic to that car. They didn't even charge me a storage fee ;)

Got some welding done. More later

Hutch

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
My neighbor came over and helped get some needed welding done to get the body back on the frame.

The metal under the cross brace was cleaned and coated with a rust encapsulator.
Floor Primed.JPG

The cross brace was sanded to remove the dep coat and then covered with weld through primer....
Crossmember Primer.JPG

and then welded in place. Thanks GBodyParts
Crossmember Welded.JPG

Driver side and passenger side body mount capture nuts were repaired and welded back
Drivers Side Mount.JPG

Torque Box Mount.JPG

The passenger side trunk drop off I got from TobyP was welded into place
Trunk Drop Off In.JPG

The floor section where the cat converter shield used to be before I tore it out was welded up
Passenger Floor.JPG

Now all I need to do is get a couple hours of grinding welds done and then on to Magnet Paints Chassis Saver. I'm going to throw a party when I get this thing off of that whirligig and back on the frame.

More to come

Hutch

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Looking great! Man I remember doing my 87 rebuild. I was a little more fortunate as I didn't have to do any metal work.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Yeah, it's hard when you can't weld and have to wait on someone else to come do it. I am thankful the metal rot wasn't any worse, and that thanks to members here, there's a lot more sheet metal available.

**Attn. Donovan** I am going to pull the pin and buy a welder Mig 135, get some scrap metal and begin practicing. You have properly motivated me with you 2 build threads.

There's a lot of small modifications I want to make and they all require metal work of some kind. I can't keep waiting for someone else to help me. Time to man up!

Hutch

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, it's hard when you can't weld and have to wait on someone else to come do it. I am thankful the metal rot wasn't any worse, and that thanks to members here, there's a lot more sheet metal available.

**Attn. Donovan** I am going to pull the pin and buy a welder Mig 135, get some scrap metal and begin practicing. You have properly motivated me with you 2 build threads.

There's a lot of small modifications I want to make and they all require metal work of some kind. I can't keep waiting for someone else to help me. Time to man up!

Hutch

That's awesome Hutch!
Glad to hear it man. You won't be disappointed. Once you get comfortable with it, you won't know how you got by without it.

Armed with a welder, an air compressor, and a few metal working tools, there ain't much you can't create or do. There's tons of online vids for tips, tricks and pointers, or if you ever have a question, give me a poke. I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

I feel somewhat vindicated now that my long-assed posts have actually inspired someone!
:D

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Thanks Donovan. Eastwood has a Mig 135 for a price I can justify. It has a ton of good reviews, but what does the real world "word on the street" say about it?

P.S. If you stop your "long assed" posts, I'll drive to your house and do it myself! :p They are a great source of ideas and insight into working different materials. KEEP IT UP!!

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not sure what the "word on the street" says, but I love my little machine.
It does everything I need it to do, as I don't really have anything heavier that requires a bigger machine.

If I had to do it all over again, I MIGHT go for the next one bigger, the dual voltage 110/220 convertible. Just for heavy axel tube brackets and stuff like that. I've only ever had to borrow my buddy's bigger welder twice now, once for said axel tube brackets, and once for burning in the crossmember mounts on the frame of The Juggernaut.

Duly noted on my updates and threads, I'll continue to ramble on in them! Seriously tho, I am glad they're helpful and a source of inspiration and confidence for you (and hopefully others out there).
Glad to be an influence on your decision.
Thanks Hutch.

D.

• Winner

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hutch,

This is an awesome build. Thanks for posting it here. Buy the welder. You can do it. I knew nothing about it when I dove in head first. I did go to community college for a part of a semester and 'learned' how to set up the machine and weld on plate. Then I had to teach myself how to work on sheet metal. I'll be happy to help you any way I can. I'm no expert but I can get by. We have a Hobart 140 and I love it.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
This is an awesome build. Thanks for posting it here. Buy the welder. You can do it. I knew nothing about it when I dove in head first. I did go to community college for a part of a semester and 'learned' how to set up the machine and weld on plate. Then I had to teach myself how to work on sheet metal. I'll be happy to help you any way I can. I'm no expert but I can get by. We have a Hobart 140 and I love it.

Funny you mentioned the Hobart 140. I did some internet research and I kept hearing about the Hobart. Sooooooo.....Northern Tool has an internet sale where you get a $100 egift card when you have a $500 or more purchase. The Hobart 140 is on their site for 499.99 sooooo....someone's getting a Hobart. The gift card will cover the other things I will need, such as helmet and cart.

Wish me luck. No turning back now.

Hutch

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It's a wonderful little machine. Made in the USA! :cool:

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor