1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

Worked on finally getting the hood setup today. Bought a Goodmark 5" steel cowl induction scoop to install on my stock steel hood.

The problem with just about ALL cowl hoods is that they were designed after the old Chevy style scoop which in my opinion is too narrow and doesn't flow well with the Olds's hood lines.

So with my angle grinder and a deep breath I start hacking away at my new scoop. :lol:

Cut a hole in my hood for the air cleaner and then plopped what I have fabbed up so far on the hood just to see how it's going to look.

I need to clearance the hood for the alternator so that's why it isn't latched in the pictures.

Just need to order some sheet metal this week along with a few cleco fasteners so that I can start welding the patch panels back in place.

So far I'm happy with how it's turning out. I lined up the edges of the scoop with the stock body lines in the hood so that once it's blended and painted I'm carrying those lines up to the windshield.

IMG_20120826_202508.jpg

IMG_20120826_202714.jpg

IMG_20120826_202611.jpg

IMG_20120826_202638.jpg

j17_mia

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2009

this a prime example of "built not bought". haha

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS

Looks great, I can't tell by your sig pic, but will there be some sort of "Side skirt" or are you just lowering it from its current state?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

78mali350 said:
Looks great, I can't tell by your sig pic, but will there be some sort of "Side skirt" or are you just lowering it from its current state?

I'm working on some sort of side skirt out of sheet metal but haven't made it very far. That plan is to have a something small similar to the FE3X.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008

Nice progress Andrew, cowl hood looks wayyyy better widened out but... are you going to also get rid of that point/ridge in the middle of the hood to flow with the lines of the FE3X scoop?
I have a peeve about the "Chevy" style widow's peak on Cutlasses... :lol:

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

No, I actually like the body line on this scoop since it's just a break line and doesn't actually come up to a point like most Chevy scoops.

I know my project is called an "Fe3x Clone" but I'm not being too literal about it. It's turning out to be more of just a nice looking Cutlass with Fe3x design cues.

Originally you were going to begin the scoop on the header, are you starting it on the hood now? Very nice btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor