1987 Oldsmobile 442 Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Hotrods and classics lose the designation once EV is introduced, just another jelly bean on the road with a masked guy whose had 4 jabs driving it.

Uh oh. Guess what...

I've never been vaccinated and I love the thought of a silent vehicle pulling up to Hellcats and leaving them at the traffic light. A 72 Chevelle doesn't lose a "classic designation" to me because it doesn't have a big block in it, but then again, I don't care about the classic designation, I just like the car.

If I knew that wearing a covid type mask hurt some of your feelings so much, I'd wear them more often lol.

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I like the take on it, gonna watch the video. My daily is a 2007 HHR, has electric steering, so far so good and it has 230K on it. But, my electric is different that the Volvo setup.

Reactions: 1 user

G Cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2022
This week, the Electric Cutlass got new upholstery, I heard of a company called LSeats, that make leather seats on the cheap. They have upholstery for a variety of makes and models ranging from old to new, and surprisingly they had seats for a 85-88 442, costing around $350.

I was a little weary after looking at reviews online, apparently they had issues in the past about getting orders out on time or issues with delivery. but I bit the bullet and decided to buy new upholstery for my front seats, and I'm actually was pretty happy with my purchase, took 3 weeks to get to my door but that was expected.

I also installed a seat heater kit from Dorman just because I'm going to lose the heater once I pull the motor.

Install was pretty smooth I only did the passenger for now but I'm pretty happy for my first time doing upholstery. seat heater from Dorman also works great!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 3.51.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 3.51.06 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 3.52.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 3.52.21 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 104
  • _NAL0309 copy.jpg
    _NAL0309 copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • _NAL0313.jpg
    _NAL0313.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 3 users

dmac35242

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2021
Birmingham, AL
Subbed for this build.
If you had to make a wild a$$ guess, how fast might it be when finished?

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Electric power steering, dangerous! That sh*t damn near got my wife in a bad wreck a couple years ago when her car decided to lose the electric assist and went full manual. Luckily it was recalled and we got it fixed for free.
In regards to full EV swap, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Alot if not all of us are trying to keep a hobby alive with aftermarket support, and the harm that EV production causes far outweighs the benefits in regards to environmental and ecosystem sustainability. Do you're research, look at the energy exhausted to mine the materials for the batteries, its mind blowing. The stupid box on the wall, or in our hands tells us that EV is so green, great, etc. Dumb politicians say it too because they're lining their pockets with the profits off of investments with the mining and battery companies. Always follow the money.
Hotrods and classics lose the designation once EV is introduced, just another jelly bean on the road with a masked guy whose had 4 jabs driving it.
An 'ev' muscle car is like being told you won a contest to go on a celebrity date, swanky restaurant and hotel bills included. But then they give you your choice of date: 2023 version Bruce Jenner. Then you start backing out and they say OK, OK, we'll give you the runner up... and it's Ru Paul (LS swap) that isn't entirely sure what it is and just makes itself work it for you... (twerk it for you?)

End result you wish you never entered the contest.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

G Cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2022
Subbed for this build.
If you had to make a wild a$$ guess, how fast might it be when finished?
So the motor can apparently spin up to 6000rpm, I'm not sure what's the torque or horsepower is at that rpm because the graphs vary from peak to continuous power. But with 32inch tires, 3.73 rear end and a Muncie 4 speed, I'm calculating a theoretical 150mph?? on a salt flat.

Realistically, peak power is at about 4700rpm so 120mph but factor is weight, parasitic loss, and air resistance 100?

I'm not very sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Are you using a transmission? Auto manufacturers gave up on transmissions with electric. The instant torque on full throttle is very hard on a gear box. You need to find out the rated power of the electric motor you are planning on using. Are you planning on battery packs in place of the gas tank or under the hood or both?

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor