1988 Monte Carlo LS ProCharger Build (10/12/21 - Back to Painting, Switching directions for power added)

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Sorry to hear bout both outcomes, I'm sure both were kicks to the junk. Bad *ss car all the same
Happens to the best of us sometimes! Oh well already found me a new lady friend who is even better and more supportive of this habit than the last.

Very nice build. I'm looking forward to this.
love that New Edge. That's my second favorite car. I've been thinking about getting another one for daily.
I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss it! It was fun rowing gears and spinning all the way into 4th. Only bad thing was no heat and AC, made for a long drive on HRPT2019.

Put two of those 7875's on it ............and spin it!!!!!!
Taking all donations on another 7875 lol. I’ll make it happen if I can! Barry Cook has a blazer that was on twin 7875s and was making some STEAM

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Well got the old 305 pulled out, sold it the very next day for $350 bucks for quick sale. Still trying to track down a 4l80e for around the $350 dollar mark, i know ill be rebuilding it so im not worried about it being burned up.

Got the new motor in place using the ICT billet adapters and the sbc mounts.. what a pain in the butt. I didnt like the way those fit at all. So i started looking at the down and forward headers and routing for turbo, after seeing multiple conflicts with frame and power steering.... i cheated a little bit and ordered the Holley Hooker LS Turbo Manifold kit, and the Holley Swap mounts and bushings/plates. Those should be getting here in a couple of weeks. So no real progress on the turbo kit until then.

I did track down a good body that someones letting me cut into, and some hard top quarter window so ill be going down to TN for those on friday. I ripped out the old heater/AC box, ill start cobbling together a heater delete panel and figure out what i need for clearances for the vintage air system.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Truck manifolds with V-bands mig'd on FTW. I'm making 800 and 675WHP on couple of build with them. Some dude on Yellow Bullet put down over 1300 on them. They never leak, never crack and won't leave you - better than most women (at least until you find the right one :) )

The money saved over the Holley manifolds will leave enough for the second 7875!!

Reactions: 3 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Truck manifolds with V-bands mig'd on FTW. I'm making 800 and 675WHP on couple of build with them. Some dude on Yellow Bullet put down over 1300 on them. They never leak, never crack and won't leave you - better than most women (at least until you find the right one :) )

The money saved over the Holley manifolds will leave enough for the second 7875!!

I have used truck manifolds in the past. With how i want this setup to be i dont see them working without a crap ton of modification and time. For me.. time is money, so i can slap a elbow on the Holley manifolds and a turbo flange and be done. Id probably spend a hole night just getting the truck manifolds angled the way i wanted then all the time after that getting pieces of pipe to fit where i want. I want a clean look, so i don't particularly like the guys who do the driver side up and forward and then all that piping running in front of the accessory drive. The goal for me is to have everything easily accessible and to make working on the car easy, Holley kit ran me about 400 bucks through a dealer, but its worth the cost in time saved, cleanliness having the crossover down under the trans, and also just works out of the box.

I did almost buy a set of billet BW s366 turbos the other day, but besides the cool factor i really have no need for them for my power goals.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I want a clean look, so i don't particularly like the guys who do the driver side up and forward and then all that piping running in front of the accessory drive. The goal for me is to have everything easily accessible and to make working on the car easy, Holley kit ran me about 400 bucks through a dealer, but its worth the cost in time saved, cleanliness having the crossover down under the trans, and also just works out of the box.

Understandable. And I agree with the access. I've made both of my sets angle down so that factory coil pack location and plug wires can be used. I dislike the manifolds mounted with the down side up.

Reactions: 1 user

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Update time!

Got some work done on the car this weekend!
Started stripping the paint on the sail panels and roof a little bit so i can start cutting, patching, and welding as i need to. Knocked down all the trim studs as well. Just need to find something i can use to get in all those small radius corners. Any help there?

Driver Side: Im thinking i can use some rust converter for that little bit of surface rust i cant get out of the pits. What do you all think?
HDGWICPl.jpg

uhBLgl7l.jpg

BzCXAVbl.jpg

QgmT46Jl.jpg

Pass Side: Couple more holes in this one rather than the other side. May be able to cut some of it out and replace. Weld up the rest and convert the rust on the smaller pitting.
gTEUSYil.jpg

z6ADvUzl.jpg

Lf3Znd1l.jpg

Q4RiNYyl.jpg

Also i ended up getting a pretty good deal i couldnt resist on a Terminator X Max DBW kit. SOOOO thats out of the way. I still am waiting on my holley parts to come in. I went ahead and ordered the Holley 4l80e crossmember as well.

Need to order a section of 3" and a turbo flange so i can get the turbo mocked up.

Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Update time!

Got some work done on the car this weekend!
Started stripping the paint on the sail panels and roof a little bit so i can start cutting, patching, and welding as i need to. Knocked down all the trim studs as well. Just need to find something i can use to get in all those small radius corners. Any help there?

Driver Side: Im thinking i can use some rust converter for that little bit of surface rust i cant get out of the pits. What do you all think?
HDGWICPl.jpg

uhBLgl7l.jpg

BzCXAVbl.jpg

QgmT46Jl.jpg

Pass Side: Couple more holes in this one rather than the other side. May be able to cut some of it out and replace. Weld up the rest and convert the rust on the smaller pitting.
gTEUSYil.jpg

z6ADvUzl.jpg

Lf3Znd1l.jpg

Q4RiNYyl.jpg

Also i ended up getting a pretty good deal i couldnt resist on a Terminator X Max DBW kit. SOOOO thats out of the way. I still am waiting on my holley parts to come in. I went ahead and ordered the Holley 4l80e crossmember as well.

Need to order a section of 3" and a turbo flange so i can get the turbo mocked up.
Following along, you're pretty local to me being in Bardstown. I'm in Louisville but was actually down there last week playing around at KY Gun Co and BTR.

Reactions: 1 user

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Following along, you're pretty local to me being in Bardstown. I'm in Louisville but was actually down there last week playing around at KY Gun Co and BTR.

Ive been diligently reading through Rktpwrd's build and your name has popped up a couple times through out. Glad to see someone local to me here. I acutally work downtown Louisville as a Project Manager for Messer Construction so its all the same for me.

I see that Rktpwrd has reacted to my last post, which is awesome because with the amount of work hes got going on his two cars i wouldnt have thought to grab his attention.

Honestly I don't know much about body work, but im learning as i go and his thread has already shown me a few things. I'm a young guy, and im trying to learn everything i possibly can. If ANYONE has any input at all please do let me know, i wont shy away from knowledge.

Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Ive been diligently reading through Rktpwrd's build and your name has popped up a couple times through out. Glad to see someone local to me here. I acutally work downtown Louisville as a Project Manager for Messer Construction so its all the same for me.

I see that Rktpwrd has reacted to my last post, which is awesome because with the amount of work hes got going on his two cars i wouldnt have thought to grab his attention.

Honestly I don't know much about body work, but im learning as i go and his thread has already shown me a few things. I'm a young guy, and im trying to learn everything i possibly can. If ANYONE has any input at all please do let me know, i wont shy away from knowledge.
Yeah, ole rktpwrd is a good dude, one of my best friends tbh. He has a wealth of knowledge in that old brain of his, along with this forum as a whole. He's taught me a lot of bodywork knowledge over the past few years.

If you need a hand, let me know and I'll try to help ya out when time permits. PM (start a conversation) me your contact info if you want.

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Yeah, ole rktpwrd is a good dude, one of my best friends tbh. He has a wealth of knowledge in that old brain of his, along with this forum as a whole. He's taught me a lot of bodywork knowledge over the past few years.

If you need a hand, let me know and I'll try to help ya out when time permits. PM (start a conversation) me your contact info if you want.

And that is what being a car guy/gal is about! Ill be sending you a message.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor