1988 Monte Carlo SS won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
OK....just to confirm that connector going into the distributor has both a pink and a yellow wire. Does that sound like the right one?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The yellow wire has a separate connector. That's the signal wire for the tachometer.

Reactions: 1 user

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
I don't see any wires other than the two connectors going to the distributor....look like they attach to the ignition control module. One connector has two wires (yellow and pink) and the other connector has four wires.

What am I missing? Where do I look?

Thanks!

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Since i work at a NAPA store im kinda partial to their products. Especially their ignition parts. But AC Delco is a good product to. You really should have the existing module tested. It was a common problem with these cars back in the day. I used to sell the hell out of them, but not so much anymore. U can remove it without pulling the wires off the cap. I think the hold down screws take a 5mm. Good luck. Let us know what u find out.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't see any wires other than the two connectors going to the distributor....look like they attach to the ignition control module. One connector has two wires (yellow and pink) and the other connector has four wires.

What am I missing? Where do I look?

Thanks!
On the Driver's side of the distributor cap there is a pink wire and a yellow wire. Disconnect both from the distributor cap. They are on separate connectors but are side by side.

A Google search is often times helpful....

[/URL]

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
Link isn't working for me. Still don't see the wires you are referring to.

My car is a 1988. I think the ignition system changed around 1987. The coil is separate from the distributor. That might explain it?

Rodsridess

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2018
I have same setup....87 monte with 350 and CCC system. The module and coil would be the easiest and not that expensive

Rodsridess

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2018
The car has been running nice and most recently had it out last weekend. It is a 1988 Monte SS with 350...all the CCC etc still intact so basically stock other than the 350.

Tried to start it today and it won't fire up. Seems to be getting gas but just cranks.

I'll probably get her towed to the shop after the holiday, but was hoping you guys can give me some things to check. I'm not that savvy as a mechanic so thanks for any help.

Darron
The car has always been very dependable and consistent on how it likes to be handled on start up...so for it not to start up is unusual.

Not a lot of fuel smell. I don't think it is flooded. What's the best way to check for spark?
Should be heavy fuel smell...if not ... maybe not getting fuel

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Meh. It cranks. Maybe that fossil of a proto-computer, aka the CCC has packed it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor