1999 Suburban 4x4 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I noticed it the first time I was playing in the snow and sort of got stuck. When put it in 4 wheel drive the front wheels wouldn't engage and the back wheel just spun. So from then on I planned when I wanted to get stuck. My 94 had all time all wheel drive and my current 2003 Grand Cherokee has select track like the 99 but I have not had a chance to see if it's the same as the 99

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It seems like my 99 had a problem and it should have shifted stopped or on the go...but something in mine wouldn't engage unless it was moving. Seems to be a common issue. When it happened I asked a jeep guy about that and he said it's normal you had to be moving to engage the front wheels so I never worried about it. I got rid of that jeep 4 years ago and now I find out it had a problem...haha

86regaldrvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Southern Ontario
Recently I was driving a 99 Suburban 1500 4x4, with the action, sounds you described while stopped. According to the owner it was normal, at times you really couldn't feel the 4x4 engage while moving and the only indication that it was in 4 wheel mode that there wasn't any wheel spin as all the indicator bulbs were burnt out.
Drove it for 4 days like that on slimy mud and dirt and wet asphalt.

My own 4x4's are all Dodges, the 99, the only time that I stop completely, shut off the engine and go into neutral, foot on the brake is the 2wd Hi to 4wd Lo mode. 2Hi to 4 Hi is always on the fly, but not under load or spinning. It has a vacuum operated locking sleeve on the right side of the axle that locks everything in and gear cluster in the transfercase, it will not engage if you are spinning. I try to lock in before I need 4x.

On the 03 it has electronic transfercase and I haven't ever went into 4low, 4 Hi and diesel power has got me thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor