2 G-bodies in 2 years!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chpbstrd1

Apprentice
Jan 23, 2009
You can install an aftermarket lock up kit for your torque converter. They range from $15-$200. I would recommend one that runs through the brake switch, engine vacuum switch and lastly through the hydraulic switch in the transmission. You don't have to have the lock up to make the transmission function, but some say they have burn't up their transmission prematurely this way. If you don't hook it up you will lose a little fuel mileage and rpm's will be increased at highway speeds(a few hundred rpm). You MUST make sure the TV cable is hooked up properly. I personally have a Monte SS with no lock up function and I have not had an problems to date. However I will be installing a lock up kit soon to increase fuel economy. Good luck.

Check out Summit and TCI for lock up kits, perhaps a board member has put together their own home fabbed kit that works as well without as much cost.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
If I were you I'd keep the engine as is until you needed a rebuild since this is going to be your daily driver. With the aftermarket intake & carb you're going to also lose the locations for the cruise control (if the car has it) and you may get the check engine light by no longer having the M/C Soleniod and TPS. You could always pull the small little chip that resides behind the glove box and that'll take care of the CEL.

I would also verify if the trans is really a TH400. A quick/dirty method is to check the pan shape. Once you put the car in gear does in shift two or three times to get in top gear? If you can feel / sense 3 shifts you have the 200-R4, if it only shifts two times you have a 3-speed (BOP TH400 or the 200C).

In any event clean car.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Thanks for all the input guys. My computer was down for a bit, but i'm up and running now. Chpbstrd1, sounds like you know your stuff, but thats more work than I want to do. I've decided to keep it as is for now, and probably indeffinately with the exception of adding headers and dual exhaust. Still want to put an aftermarket carb and intake manifold. Does anyone know that if I get a manifold for use with EGR will I still be able to use my cruise control?

As for my transmision, I'm still not sure. Definately ruled out a TH400 as I can feel three shifts and the pan shaped doesn't match. It has the word "METRIC" stamped into it like TH200r4's but it's shaped like a TH350.
http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-transmiss ... cation.php

Did Oldsmobile use the TH350 on Cutlass's? Also so, what's the difference between TH200R4 and a TH2004R?

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
No transmission exists that is named 200R4. Commonly, people miss type the TH200-4R as the fictional "TH200-R4". The only transmission that exists is the 3 speed with overdrive or 4 speed transmission that is called the Th200-4R. If your transmission shifts up 3 times total then you definitely have a 4 speed transmission of some sort. My bet is that you most likely have the Th200-4R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor