200-4R Difficult to WOT 4->3 downshift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
In 81 Cutlass's attached link, Texas T replied. He's a member here as well. He rarely visits though. He is a very knowledgeable 200-4R guy, that helped me a bunch when I 1st started messing with a stock one.

The governor is an easy component to remove and work on. I'm not one to complete a full tear down, but getting the governor outt is as easy as changing the oil and oil filter. Just need to source the governor housing gasket in case the old one tears when disassembled.
I agree, Jim.
Rich has always been helpful when it comes to 200-4R knowledge. and doesn't mind sharing what he knows.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
In 81 Cutlass's attached link, Texas T replied. He's a member here as well. He rarely visits though. He is a very knowledgeable 200-4R guy, that helped me a bunch when I 1st started messing with a stock one.

The governor is an easy component to remove and work on. I'm not one to complete a full tear down, but getting the governor outt is as easy as changing the oil and oil filter. Just need to source the governor housing gasket in case the old one tears when disassembled.

Ditto, it's a really easy project to do. The hardest part is putting the blowoff balls back into place when you reinstall the fly weights. The gasket is probably hard as a rock so I'll second the comment of its just best to order a new one, I ordered a gasket for like $2 off ebay along with a filter and gasket since it's always time to change the trans filter :)

If you changed rear gears or tire sizes and have been thinking of correcting the speedometer gear, I wouldn't put the stock governor back in without pulling the big spring and cutting some weight off since they have to come out as a pair.

1595268450884.png
1595268361513.png

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Ditto, it's a really easy project to do. The hardest part is putting the blowoff balls back into place when you reinstall the fly weights. The gasket is probably hard as a rock so I'll second the comment of its just best to order a new one, I ordered a gasket for like $2 off ebay along with a filter and gasket since it's always time to change the trans filter :)

If you changed rear gears or tire sizes and have been thinking of correcting the speedometer gear, I wouldn't put the stock governor back in without pulling the big spring and cutting some weight off since they have to come out as a pair.

View attachment 152227 View attachment 152226
Curious what was the full throttle rpm before and after on that one. I personally don't like the later part throttle shifts. The last one I did with a servo and modified small weight was awesome, stock, maybe slightly firmer part throttle shifts and firm 5000 rpm full throttle shifts. The late part shifts on my current one suck along with 3200 rpm full throttle shifts. I just want max line pressure and low shift points to not blow up the 350 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor