Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Fluid color (be descript)?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
You said the fluid was full but didnt say if it was bright red or a dark red. Also if you drop the pan show a picture of the inside of the pan. Its normal to have some grey material from the clutches, not normal to see chunks.
Nobody has mentioned the rear differential so you might want to put it in gear and have somebody look under the car to see if the driveshaft is moving or not.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
He did mention it seemed like something may have been slipping (like the collar on the splines).
This is why I was asking about the linkage when you shift the lever in the car is it actually moving the arm bolted to the trans into all of the gears? Nothing should be slipping.

Is this an original factory set up with original carb and your TV cable attached?

Reactions: 1 user

SamJam05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
Maine
This is why I was asking about the linkage when you shift the lever in the car is it actually moving the arm bolted to the trans into all of the gears? Nothing should be slipping.

Is this an original factory set up with original carb and your TV cable attached?
It does appear to be moving the arm on the physical transmission when you move the column from park through all the gears. It has a performer intake and an edelbrock carb. The TV cable is attached quite possibly wasn’t adjusted properly but I never ran it to find out. Doesn’t help it’s been sub 0 here all week

SamJam05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
Maine
You said the fluid was full but didnt say if it was bright red or a dark red. Also if you drop the pan show a picture of the inside of the pan. Its normal to have some grey material from the clutches, not normal to see chunks.
Nobody has mentioned the rear differential so you might want to put it in gear and have somebody look under the car to see if the driveshaft is moving or not.
I will definitely take note, and will be dropping the pan soon, no heat in the garage don’t mind working in 20, but sub 20 degrees is pushing it for me, so it may be a few days

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I will definitely take note, and will be dropping the pan soon, no heat in the garage don’t mind working in 20, but sub 20 degrees is pushing it for me, so it may be a few days
before dropping the pan, i would rent or buy a transmission fluid pressure gauge and a service manual. service manual will have trouble shooting flow charts to follow and will tell you what your pressure readings mean and give you a direction to go.

pulling the pan could be inconclusive. unless there is severe fluid contamination or chunks of bearing material, what are going to do next? by taking some pressure readings you will know if your oil pump is working, what your line pressure is, what your in gear pressure readings are, what your stall pressure is. do yourself a favor and follow the service manual and not the magic 8 ball.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Agree with Joe. Get a line pressure gauge and see if you have any. It should be in the 80-105 range in park, and over 140 (minimum) when it goes into reverse and 1st. It might jump in second as well, but depends on the valve body.

Reactions: 1 users

SamJam05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
Maine
before dropping the pan, i would rent or buy a transmission fluid pressure gauge and a service manual. service manual will have trouble shooting flow charts to follow and will tell you what your pressure readings mean and give you a direction to go.

pulling the pan could be inconclusive. unless there is severe fluid contamination or chunks of bearing material, what are going to do next? by taking some pressure readings you will know if your oil pump is working, what your line pressure is, what your in gear pressure readings are, what your stall pressure is. do yourself a favor and follow the service manual and not the magic 8 ball.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor