2004R build for 500 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronbz455

Apprentice
Aug 10, 2013
I talked to Fred and he said if I use the billet shaft and forward drum I can't have lock up.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Who is Fred?

If you are referring to a billet input shaft, I really don't think you need one. A billet shaft forward drum is an excellent investment.

The rotor for the 13 vane setup makes for not much meat and a tendency for breakage. Especially when pressures get up where one needs.
Gm went to the 10 and 13 to get smoother pressure with less fluctuation. You can get a billet 10 vane rotor.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
ronbz455 said:
I talked to Fred and he said if I use the billet shaft and forward drum I can't have lock up.

Please ask 'Fred' what upgrading to billet hard parts has to do with converter lock-up.

ronbz455

Apprentice
Aug 10, 2013
When I was talking to him he said the shaft wasn't drilled for it like the feed hole. The Fred I'm talking about is Fred Catlin, the first Buick 528 Buzzila build with Jim Bell from Kenne Bell performance. Also C Stock record holder back in the day. He helped me with advise for years and help me make my stock block .030 Buick 462 go 10's in the 1/4 with little money.

Attachments

• FREDS CAR BUTZ DRIVER.jpg
    FREDS CAR BUTZ DRIVER.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0002 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0002 - Copy.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 368

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
ronbz455 said:
I found that billet drum on ebay for 300. but I have to get it apart and see how it looks. I was thinking like you but red alto clutches and there was a way to get more clutches for one of the drums and overdrive. I want at least 3000 stall with lock up.
The cam I will try in the 350 is power level 5 from Crower. It might be to much but I got it cheap on clearance. The intake might have to be made because they don't make a good open plenum yet but there are 2 home made ones out there and I might get my hands on one. I need to heavily port the heads and might go bigger valves so a lot of engine work to get it to make more power. I will get back tomorrow have to get some sleep.

The problem with trying to put more clutch frictions in the direct is the steels get thin. Thin steels tend to hot spot easier then you have over heating and failure. Have you read the sticky at turbobuick.com in the trans section? Bruce Tolle is pretty experienced with the 2004r. The only place you want to add an extra friction is over drive. You cut the apply piston the thickness of the friction and add the extra between the stacked steels in the overdrive stack.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/thread ... 04r.31365/

Several builders told me to steer clear of the alto frictions. So I went raybestos and Borg Warner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor