2004R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The shift linkage will work, it may just need adjusted and manual low may not be accessible.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
I couldn't get my 2004r out of my cutlass fast enough lol. I have a factory Buick v6 3.8 with a whopping 110 HP and installed a th400 with surprising results mind you i was laughing the whole time doing this crazy swap behind a 110hp 3.8

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
The shift linkage will work, it may just need adjusted and manual low may not be accessible.
If its anything like my 700r4 was it will still let you manually put it into low on the column. The indicator ends up below the 3spd's 1 position.

Reactions: 2 users

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
I couldn't get my 2004r out of my cutlass fast enough lol. I have a factory Buick v6 3.8 with a whopping 110 HP and installed a th400 with surprising results mind you i was laughing the whole time doing this crazy swap behind a 110hp 3.8
Why?

Reactions: 1 users

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
There is a reason why GM stopped with the whole tv cable transmission style. its annoying to adjust the tv cable because of stretching even if you get the thicker cables they stretch. i find 2004r transmissions to have a lot drag when you let off the pedal they are not as efficient as you may think we over look these quality's in our quest to merge everyday cars with drag strip cars. Not to mention NO matter how much money you put in a 2004r they will never hold up to real power. after selling my 2004r out of my little stock 3.8 i was no long able to move this car around but had many th400 so i built one like i would build one for a 800hp engine laughing in what i was about to do and hearing how much power the turbo 400 use up etc.. they don't use up not even close to what people been saying they do because i don't have any power in this car to start off with LMFAO.... well its in the car now and stunned how much better my acceleration is and smooth when it glides off throttle. it was a night and day difference for me in my little 110hp Buick 3.8L with 2.41 gears. I'm so pleased with it in my car I'm keeping the V6. i am really enjoying it now, when before it had to go.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I think with using a 2004R (700R4) getting rid of the freeway gears for something in the low to mid 3's at least is something that goes hand in hand. I have a TH350 with 2.28 rear gears and it works well. My guess is the TH400 would work equally as well with high rear gears. Once I make the swap to either the 200R4 or 7004R I will also swap the rear gears to compliment the trans.

As far as the TV cable, that's something that is figured in to keep the OD trans running as it should. Know that it is something I need to keep an eye on and replace as necessary, much like other parts that wear out or need replaced. That's just my take on it.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
There is a reason why GM stopped with the whole tv cable transmission style. its annoying to adjust the tv cable because of stretching even if you get the thicker cables they stretch. i find 2004r transmissions to have a lot drag when you let off the pedal they are not as efficient as you may think we over look these quality's in our quest to merge everyday cars with drag strip cars. Not to mention NO matter how much money you put in a 2004r they will never hold up to real power. after selling my 2004r out of my little stock 3.8 i was no long able to move this car around but had many th400 so i built one like i would build one for a 800hp engine laughing in what i was about to do and hearing how much power the turbo 400 use up etc.. they don't use up not even close to what people been saying they do because i don't have any power in this car to start off with LMFAO.... well its in the car now and stunned how much better my acceleration is and smooth when it glides off throttle. it was a night and day difference for me in my little 110hp Buick 3.8L with 2.41 gears. I'm so pleased with it in my car I'm keeping the V6. i am really enjoying it now, when before it had to go.
Yeah I get what you are saying about drag. With my 3 speed I hardly use the brakes.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
I think with using a 2004R (700R4) getting rid of the freeway gears for something in the low to mid 3's at least is something that goes hand in hand. I have a TH350 with 2.28 rear gears and it works well. My guess is the TH400 would work equally as well with high rear gears. Once I make the swap to either the 200R4 or 7004R I will also swap the rear gears to compliment the trans.

As far as the TV cable, that's something that is figured in to keep the OD trans running as it should. Know that it is something I need to keep an eye on and replace as necessary, much like other parts that wear out or need replaced. That's just my take on it.
I agree with you about the gears. I scored a 8.5 out of a T-Type for 500 bucks and the lower gear in it helped a little bit. I think a 2.42

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I personally have used a 2004R with 2.56 and 2.78 gears. Not ideal but not the noticeable drag mentioned. The 2.74 first makes the care more responsive in my experience over a TH250 or TH350. A Transgo shift kit, servo and governor mods do a lot to improve the 2004R.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor