200R4 switch controlled torque converter lockup

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
When I had the issue with the SS it would shift 1-2 normally then lock the converter and you would get the 3 & 4th gear shift almost immediately. Car would just lug along and was quite a dog. (Not that it is a speed demon by any stretch of ones imagination!)

One question I do have to ask.......Are you still running the ECM on the El Camino or did you do away with all the computer control when you swapped intakes?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Where'd you put the switch in? Where can I find the wire?
the brake light switch has four posts on it,two activate the workings of the lights and the other two make and break the lock up circuit.i took the two that run the lock up and wired them to a small toggle switch by the door handle.
0723192013.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
The switch is in the pan and the connector is on the driver side of trans just behind the shifter rod. Factory would be a 4 wire connector without 4 wires in it. And you shouldn't be in 4th gear at 30 mph unless you have 4.10 gears with 25" tires.
Thanks, I'll look for it!

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
When I had the issue with the SS it would shift 1-2 normally then lock the converter and you would get the 3 & 4th gear shift almost immediately. Car would just lug along and was quite a dog. (Not that it is a speed demon by any stretch of ones imagination!)

One question I do have to ask.......Are you still running the ECM on the El Camino or did you do away with all the computer control when you swapped intakes?
Nope, still have the ECM!

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
the brake light switch has four posts on it,two activate the workings of the lights and the other two make and break the lock up circuit.i took the two that run the lock up and wired them to a small toggle switch by the door handle. View attachment 119059
Brake light switch? Where's that?

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Brake light switch? Where's that?
I have a link to a thread on my user page. There is a diagram in there. I once used a high beam switch on the floorboard from a Chevy pickup to lock and unlock the TC.

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
Probably ought to fix what's wrong with it. You shouldn't be in 4th gear at 28 mph.

I'll guess governor springs laying in the pan, but only a guess. How does it shift for the other gears during a normal acceleration when left in drive?
Also, is the cable for the throttle valve adjusted properly? If not it could cause the trans to shift to soon.

Reactions: 1 users

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
Hey all,
Long story short, my car just about stalls out in 4th gear when the torque converter locks up because it goes into 4th gear so early. I've been having to leave the car in 3rd and then manually shift into 4th after the car is going fast enough to where it runs right. I don't want to continue doing this though because it's an automatic, not a manual haha. I also don't have the facilities to adjust the shift points. I'd rather be able to initiate the lock up after a certain speed.

From a cold start the car runs in 4th fine, it's just after it warms up and the torque converter locks up in 4th at 28mph that it chugs and shakes and rattles because it's at about 100 rpm lmao
[/QUOTE]
Probably ought to fix what's wrong with it. You shouldn't be in 4th gear at 28 mph.

I'll guess governor springs laying in the pan, but only a guess. How does it shift for the other gears during a normal acceleration when left in drive?
Have you checked the throttle valve cable adjustment? It may be shifting to soon.

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
All the gears shift fine, and it's fine when it's in 4th at 30mph - drives good. It's just 4th with the lockup that's bad
What gears are in your car? I have 3.70 gears and I don't go into 4th until around 45mph on my 2004r.

Can you feel the shifts? Could be a TV cable adjustment issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor