200r4 Tailshaft Bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for all the help. There is a tool that pulls the bushing out...anyone local (Toronto -Pickering,Oshawa)have one? Going to check my local parts store for rentals.

Rockauto has none in stock, can't even place order.
I recall the tool you speak of. Not 100% sure how safe it is to use as I've never used it. Only worked on one R4 in my life but took it all the way down. Looking it up, I'd say it might be cheaper to see if a transmission shop could do it for you for the 180 U.S.D. this thing lists for. Do rental places up north have anything like this?

https://www.atsg.us/atsg/tools-1/ex...put-shaft-support-fixture-party-t-0160-a.html

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I personally don't think it's a tool you're going to find at your local parts store for rent. You most likely will have to resort to a transmission shop....or if you know someone that has a transmission shop...even better. Good luck!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I just rechecked rock auto shows them in stock
And the cost? How many of these do you do every year? I mean, you have to look at price divided by number of expected jobs = approx. "rental" cost per job. That's why I say if it's something you won't ever do much of, then having the transmission shop do it might be cheaper in the long run. Maybe. Cool tool though if it works right.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
At this moment Rockauto has 0 in stock. I'm looking at the Chev Monte Carlo SS subsection.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
A fellow member had the same problem. Fortunately, my brother had the tool. He came down to the job and it took him about ten minutes to replace the bushing and seal. Due to excessive wear, we also replaced the driveshaft yoke. No more leaks! I’ve done several 350’s and 400’s which have bolt on extension housings. Real simple when you can work on it on the bench.
As stated above, I think I would have a shop do it instead of buying a tool you may use just once.
Timo22

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
Well that's crap they don't tell you until you try to put your zip code in some will have it local to you I'm sure

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
I recently replaced the tailshaft bushing in my 2004-R. I bought the tool on Ebay and replaced it in about an hour. Here's the tool I bought. It works great.
1553964008914.jpeg

transman

Apprentice
May 17, 2015
Western Canada
Anyone have the bushing part number? Trying to help the GM parts guy out because he can't be sure if the bushing will fit... can only find 700R4 parts. My Son is dealing with a person that's younger than the transmission.
I can't give you the GM part number, but it is a very widely used bushing by GM. It's used in some TH400's, all TH350's, 2004R, TH700 R4, TH200, & the TH180. It's available in Babbitt(most common), brass, and also now available with a teflon coating(best choice). It measures 1.63" OD x .093" long. It would be available at ANY transmission shop, and I know you've got a transmission parts supplier in Toronto that probably has hundreds in stock. If you need further information send me an email. They will also have the tool in stock to remove the bushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor