267 transmission Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCoupe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
Well I think my poor transmission in my Monte Carlo is on the way out. My question is what other model trannies will fit onto my 267 without having to do any major swapping of drive shafts etc.

Will a 350 one work?

Any help is good help.
Thanx

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
What is in there now? TH200C? A TH350 will fit, bolts to the engine the same and will use the same crossmember and driveshaft length.

DaCoupe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
85t5mcss said:
What is in there now? TH200C? A TH350 will fit, bolts to the engine the same and will use the same crossmember and driveshaft length.

Current motor is a 267 small block. Car is bone stock with only 45k km's on it unforftinally it is neglected all its life. I am not sure what transmission is in there, the marking should be where to tell?

DaCoupe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
Awsome, going to look into it next time I got it lifted up. Unfortinally my transmission is starting to "clunk" when cold when I come to a stop. Going to take it to a transmission shop and get it flushed and tuned up. Hopefully that helps!

DaCoupe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
Uncletruck said:
If it clunks when downshifting, I can just about guarantee it's a TH200 metric- that is one of their famous charecteristics, never had one that didn't do that.

-Mark-

Well it only happens in the morning, when I come to a stop it will do a clunk. It would slip just a bit then grab, only does it once then its good for the rest of the drive.

Sound normal?

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I'm not so sure you should have it flushed, especially if you don't know its history. Flushing will dislodge varnish, filter material, broken o-rings and get it stuck in tiny orifices. It'll be dead then. Just drop the pan, do a fluid and filter change.
Flushing is good for newer trannys that don't have all that garbage built up in there.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
That is good advice- I wouldn't delve too deep in to an old transmission, especially not the TH200, it might be best to just leave well enough alone. On quite a few old trannys that I changed the filter and put new fluid in, they developed leaks all over shortly thereafter. You might be able to get the transmission to shift better by making a slight adjustment to the control cable at the throttle. The cable on the 200 is not just a kickdown cable, and it's sort of sensitive to having the right adjustment. I set them to where the cable is just starting to get taught when the throttle is at idle.
This might help, might not. If you indeed have a TH200 metric, I wouldn't bother repairing it and swap in a more durable TH350 or 200R4. The TH200 was actually designed as a lightweight transmission for the Chevy Chevette, and GM in their infinite wisdom thought it could hold up in everything from the Chevette up to a full size Caprice. They were involved in a class action lawsuit in the early '80's over the TH200's lackluster durability.

-Mark-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor