3.73 gears no posi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
patmckinneyracing said:
I got ballsy enough to take it to 8500 and stopped cause I never took the motor to that limit before.

No wonder your sh*t's all ****ed up Pat... :roll:

MrHernandez said:
well, my cutlass has a chevy 350/350 combo with stock rear 3.73's and tops out at about 63 mph so no, unless you have a o.d. trans i wouldn't recommend it

Well, either you have the wrong speedo gear or something is seriously wrong with your car.

If my friends car with 4.56 gears can go 110 mph with a 3 speed, it makes no sense that yours tops at 63 unless you're not shifting into 3rd gear.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Blake, I did that the 3 days after I built the engine 4-5 years ago.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Doing that on a fresh motor can be even worse. :shock:

Consider yourself lucky that your rods didn't go flying through your oil pan.

Attachments

• jose's pics.jpg
    jose's pics.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 144

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Nah she ran good for the 5 years I had her going. Got plenty of ricers, camaros, and mustangs to satisfy me. Difference then and now is that then it had an Isky circle track cam and 2.29 open rear gears. Now If I was to guess the speed I did then that was like driving NASCAR. I had cars around me doing 80 and I could barely keep track of them going by and in my rear view mirror. I had to be going over 150 to 180 mph. Back then, it always wanted to go 100mph and it sucked driving on the street, but man when I got on that highway it was awesome.

Now I'm starting to realize it's not always about speed. That don't mean I'm not contemplating putting a big block in that car lol.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
patmckinneyracing said:
...I had to be going over 150 to 180 mph...

Jesus Christ, do you even listen to yourself?

:bs:

You've got to be full of sh*t up to your eye balls...

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
100-110 MPH maybe. i did that in my 76 cutlass on surface streets. 330 olds rocket engine out of a 64 cutlass. i miss that car!

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
Blake442 said:
patmckinneyracing said:
I got ballsy enough to take it to 8500 and stopped cause I never took the motor to that limit before.

No wonder your sh*t's all ****ed up Pat... :roll:

MrHernandez said:
well, my cutlass has a chevy 350/350 combo with stock rear 3.73's and tops out at about 63 mph so no, unless you have a o.d. trans i wouldn't recommend it

Well, either you have the wrong speedo gear or something is seriously wrong with your car.

If my friends car with 4.56 gears can go 110 mph with a 3 speed, it makes no sense that yours tops at 63 unless you're not shifting into 3rd gear.
well, my speedo doesnt work and when i ran at the track (1/8) 63 was my top speed and it was revving pretty high, shifted into all 3 gears, kinda sounded like it was shifting outta 1st too early but other than that no problems

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
What is your RPM in 3rd gear at 63 mph? Is the converter a real high stall or a standard torque converter?

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Blake, I would be on the highway and I could drop into 2nd gear and only turn 3000 rpm at 70mph. Meaning I got a whole third gear that isn't even used. Being that I had help getting my engine built by a bunch of circle track guys, they gave me that Isky cam which was intended for CIRCLE TRACK ONLY. Being that I only had a 2.29 gear, that malibu had the ability to go that fast. Raise that BS flag but I'm dead serious. Think of it this way, I could actually out run croch rockets on the highway and they would get pissed wondering "WTF!".

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
I wonder how fast my Monte's going to hit when i'm done rebuilding. I've got a motor that produces 425HP at the crank with a two barrel, i now have a nice holley 650 strapped to it. 700R4 trans built for abuse, and right now the stock rear-end sits in the car, but thats coming out because this motor will rape it, I'm debating what rear-end gears to use, either 3.23's or 3.73's. What's the stock gears that came in a 88 Monte SS? I'm trying to keep higher gears for now, because her first real drive is going to be from PA to the bottom of NC. Oh and i'm still debating on what stall TC to use, it's between a 2000-3000 stall, not sure yet.

But on the subject of top speed, i'm going to be dropping a T56 into my camaro, and when i do that the muncie M22 is going into the monte :twisted:

Say that in oyur head "muncie M22" it just sounds nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor