305/4 speed Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blake B said:
gmachinzz said:
Yep....she went to EBay pretty quick....lol, man if somebody had a lot of the parts to make it right, it wouldn't be too bad of a project....t-top 4-speed....and I have a complete blue interior in Mint shape for a 78 too...I almost pulled the trigger on that car a few weeks back but I'm too far into my 80 factory moonroof Monte at the moment or else I'd have it.

the guy is trying to flip it for $6,000... ain't no way.

Maybe some of you "G Body " experts could explain this message to me it confused me a little.....
Blake B said:
I'll give you $2800. I got to see the car I know the shape it's in. you over paid @ $2500

I'll consider your proposal Blake

Its simple, you bought the car to flip it just admit it. There is no was you are going to get 6k out of it even as parts the demand is just not there. I just bought a 79 in simular shape, running car with blue interior only difference is mine is not a 4 speed car for $600.

81Regal said:
Its simple, you bought the car to flip it just admit it. There is no was you are going to get 6k out of it even as parts the demand is just not there. I just bought a 79 in simular shape, running car with blue interior only difference is mine is not a 4 speed car for $600.

Sorry should of elaborated a little.....I understand the first quote, it's the second that has me confused.

Did I hurt your feelings by purchasing this car to sell? Just because I take a interest in older vehicles especially General Motors does not mean I'm some greasy car salesman. I joined the forum to get some insight and history on the Monte Carlo. Thought some of the old school guys had some info on production numbers here. Learning that no such records were kept for these cars. Congrats on your 79, and the 4 barrel assuming it's a V8. THE WHOLE REASON I PURCHASED THE CAR WAS BEACAUSE IT WAS A 4-SPEED. Does the 79 have TTops, AC, Power, OE Drivetrain? Your comparing apples to oranges....this is " The King Of The Montes, well kinda. I hate to talk #'s when I don't have solid evidence to back it up, yet. This is a 1 of 74 305/4 speed cars, and a 1 of 42 with TTops. That's out of 358,191 produced for 78. Yeah the G-Body is not huge in the collector car market, but there's not to many early 70s cars left to discover, so what's next? Late 70's early 80s cars. And shouldn't you guys be rooting for a big number on this sale to help all of your values increase?

Is the car unusual?-yes. Is the car interesting?-yes. Is it the "King of the Montes"?-that's open to debate. In my humble opinion, the "King of the Montes" label would be more appropriate on a 1970-1971 SS454 car, a first generation big block 4 speed car, or possibly one of the 1986-1987 aerocoupes. If you get the money that you're asking for the car on Ebay, then you've done very well. Admitting that you purchased the car for $2,500, then looking to sell it in a short period of time, without any major work, for a profit of APPROXIMATELY 140%, probably was not the wisest thing to do. As I said before, just my humble opinion.

No you didn't hurt my feelings that you bought it to flip. It just sounded to me that you were trying to hide that fact. Mine is a V8 also just like yours with orignal engine, "numbers matching" doesn't mean squat on these cars, they don't have the following of say a late 60's Camaro or Corvette to make such a difference in price.
Anyways its true that the 4 speed cars are more rare and this gen is getting harder to find in good shape/nobody is repoping parts.
GLWS I think you will need it.

I think the Owner/Seller of this 1978 Monte Carlo with the T-Top, 305, 4 Speed, Posi,Floor Console, Tach & Gauge, AM-FM Stereo, Power Windows is trying to say is that it is the "King of the Monte Carlo's" as far as 1978 Monte Carlo's go. Now I'm sure that there is somebody out there with a similarly optioned 1978 Monte Carlo that's in better condition than the car were talking about although I certainly can't imagine that there would be many that are equipped with as many rare and cool options as his car. If there is another 1978 Monte Carlo with similar options and most importantly the 305, 4 speed, Air Conditioning & T-Tops in better condition than his car then I would say that this car could be called the "King of the Monte Carlo's" or if there is a similarly optioned car in excellent original survivor condition or even a nice original car that's been freshened up with the same 305, 4 speed, posi, AC, Gauges and maybe the Factory Sunroof or Sliding Metal Roof then that car may be the top dog when it comes to the 1978 Monte's. I believe that all that the Owner/Seller of this really cool 1978 Monte Carlo is saying is that it didn't get much better than his car in 1978! I completely agree although the car surely needs a complete restoration. The bottom line is that it's all there or at least all of the important pieces are still with the car including it's Matching Numbers drive-train and the Monte Carlo is certainly worthy of a restoration in my opinion. Lets face it guys... they aren't building these cars any longer so cars like this Blue on Blue T-Tops 305, 4 speed, AC, Posi, Gauge car needs to be saved. I realize that a lot of you don't see the value in this car but I do and I also see the rarity which forms it's value in my opinion. It seems like you guys are so used to buying average 1978 Monte Carlo's with a 305 and AC for $1500 that you don't see the value in this very rare 4 speed T-Top restoration project and without making any effort to sound like a jerk, it seems that some of the guys on this site are downright thrifty or frugal. I say this because I didn't want to call you guys CHEAP!!! Maybe it comes from working with limited funds to buy your projects and having to work hard to piece your cars together and build what you consider a nice car. I can appreciate that as God knows that I'm just a working guy that has to do the same with my cars but I don't come down as hard on sellers or guys that buy cars just to flip them for a few bucks. Lets face it, we've all flipped cars at one time or another and we have all flipped parts and have occasionally made a few bucks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.. It's the American way and good old capitalism at it's hardcore roots!!! We all have a right to think what we want when it comes to our opinions regarding the condition and price of any car but why try to trash or humiliate a guy just because he is trying to make a good honest buck on a car? Why trash a guy for trying to Flip a car? Like I said, we have all flipped something at one time or another even if we flipped it and made a quick $50. The 1978 Monte Carlo 305, 4 speed, AC T-Top car is extremely rare no matter how you look at it and although I wouldn't give $6,000 for it, I believe that this car should be saved. I would have given the $2500 that he paid in a heartbeat. Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. I'm new to this forum but I'm active on many others and I just get sick and tired of guys trashing other guys because they Flip a car or because you don't agree with their sale price. If you don't agree then simply read and move on. With only a couple of post on this site even though I've watched it for years now, Id have to say that it seems like there are some great guys here who are genuinely good people who are just trying to build their cars and share their experiences with other members but there are also many negative guys here who simply have too much time on their hands! Thanks for listening to the rant and be kind to each other...it's much easier and takes a whole lot less energy than being crude, rude or outright mean. Good luck with your many cool builds. I've enjoyed many of your stories... Lightweights4me :lol: ps, Regarding the remark about the "King of the Monte Carlos", well I would agree that if we were talking about all Monte's then my favorite would be one of two that I have personally known over the years with one being a 1970 Monte Carlo in Cortez Silver with a Black Bucket Seat/Console Interior, 402, Factory 4 Speed, Tach & Gauges, AC and all power options. That car was outstanding. The other would be the one and only 1970 Monte Carlo that I've ever seen in Special Order Hugger Orange Paint code " --" with a Parchment Vinyl Roof and Black Buckets/Console Interior 402, 4 speed, Tach & Gauges NO AC... It doesn't sound all that appealing but it was awesome in person. I love the 1970-1971 Monte Carlo SS454 cars but since there were no 4 speed cars produced or at least none have been documented as of yet, the 402 4 speed cars would be my personal favorites! Thanks for your time

Lightweights4me said:
snippitydoodah

Um, watching this one with extreme interest. :roll:

Especially since the admin already chimed in, I'm going to try to tread lightly.
cadillac7834 <--> Lightweights4me
(^and you'll have a hard time convincing me otherwise.)
Just understand that by buying this car and selling it for more than twice as much to the same people who saw it before, you'd get flak regardless. But I think it's just the fact that you seemed really pumped about it and then in what seemed like a week's time or less advertised here that you were dumping it; still calling it a gem and saying it was tough to get rid of like you were attached. That's just a kick in the pants to the people who would've actually liked to see that car go to a good home or at least help the G-body community by at least parting out the unique 4-speed parts. I mean you are on a forum dedicated to owning, maintaining, and fixing these cars after all... Not to be personally making a "shot" at you by saying this, but all you did was jack up the price so it's more expensive for the next guy. Now like you said, this is the United States and you do have the right to flip a car just like everyone else. And even though options like A/C, sway bars, power windows, interior color, etc would make almost no impact on the value of this car in this condition, it does have the rare 4-speed which could actually make the car worth more. And you do have the freedom to try and set that price.
All I'm saying to you is: The next time you flip an interesting car that you found on a forum, don't come back to the same forum to do it. Stay on eBay or something. And if you decide not to follow that advice, just roll with the punches when people voice their opinion.

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor