305 running rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogey0

n00b
Jun 19, 2010
Just got my 1986 GP back from the shop. Had the motor (305) rebuilt. Ran like a champ for about 300 miles, then in the blink of an eye, it started running really rough throughout the driving range and wants to stall at idle. Took it back to the shop and the mechanic checked compression, timing, spark plugs and wires and said the problem was the carb. Carb was rebuilt about 5 years (30k miles) ago, and was working perfectly both before and after the engine rebuild. I'm no mechanic, but I know this car. Doesn't "feel" like a carb issue to me. Anyone have any ideas before I go throwing more money at another carb rebuild? Thanks.

bogey0 said:
Just got my 1986 GP back from the shop. Had the motor (305) rebuilt. Ran like a champ for about 300 miles, then in the blink of an eye, it started running really rough throughout the driving range and wants to stall at idle. Took it back to the shop and the mechanic checked compression, timing, spark plugs and wires and said the problem was the carb. Carb was rebuilt about 5 years (30k miles) ago, and was working perfectly both before and after the engine rebuild. I'm no mechanic, but I know this car. Doesn't "feel" like a carb issue to me. Anyone have any ideas before I go throwing more money at another carb rebuild? Thanks.
running rough, could be the carb, or even a vac leak or even the pump not sending enough fuel. and if the shop ruled out comp. ign system. i would check the fuel to the carb. make sure the filter is clean an check for a vac leak before rebuilding the carb.

Decided to get a second opinion. Took it in and told them that shop#1 told me I needed a carb rebuild. Shop #2 has had it a week now, and called to tell me that the carb is fine. Said I have a dead cylinder, maybe a hole in a cylinder? Not the news I wanted to hear with 300 miles on this rebuild. I dont even know what conversation to have with shop #1 now. Incompetence? Or do things like this "just happen"?

#1 exhaust valve spring was broken. Replaced spring and car is running like a champ. Is this something that "just happens"?

No. That is bad. Were the springs the old ones, or were they new when the rebuild was done?

usually the machine shop dose all that

when heads are in for a rebuild they usually check the springs for wear cracks and strenght
i dont think its the shop just the machist that they used

and also if one broke already i would replace all just to be on the safe side

x2 replace all of them
bring the bill AND THE BROKEN VALVE SPRING to the first mechanic and try to get him to warranty it. if he doesn't make good on it (this assumes that he didn't ask you about the top end and you said to forget it) never go back.
he really should have caught a broken spring.
one thing that really worries me, if the spring broke and the valve dropped, did it hit the piston? did it get bent (even a tiny bit)?
you may have to have the head pulled and inspect everything. the last thing you want is for the valve to break free or the piston to crack and destroy the motor.

fyi I think not replacing valve springs on a rebuild is just crazy. imo should always use new valve springs, seals, locks. it's like reusing bearings - just dont do it imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor